1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could something like this replace the record companies?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by irjason, Mar 3, 2008.

1. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I came across this article today. This seems like an interesting idea. I wonder how well it could work? One downside now is that it looks like it couldn't succeed in the US because of a few laws. But to me the idea has potential.

Would you invest in helping a band record an album? Would you want to try something like this with your band?

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/commentary/listeningpost/2008/03/listeningpost_0303

2. I intern at a recording studio and we recently finished working with a sellaband artist. The whole album was recorded and mixed there. 1 person invested somewhere around 10gs in the artist, so I think the system shows some potential.

3. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Interesting. That one person must have really believed in them. Personally, I'd like to see something like this in the US too. I find it strange that in my state I can bet on what horse will win the Derby, but not on the success of a band.

Did you get much of a feel from the band about how the whole experience was for them?

4. Well the artist we worked with was a solo artist, Lily Vasquez, but she seemed really excited about the whole thing. And the way the system works, you can be in the US and still be a part of sellaband. Lily was from Jersey and people all around the world invested in her.

5. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hmm, if I ever have time to get in a band again I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the info!

6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Nice one, same here dude. We live in the same area.:p

I think this is interesting. I want to check my band out into this.

7. These types of ideas are EXACTLY what the recording industry should be exploring - but refuses to look at. They are blind to opportunity because they're locked into a business model that is leaving them.

Buggy whip, anyone??

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Right, and this new model puts a lot of fat cats' jobs on the line. But if the fans get behind it, they'll have no choice.

¡Viva la revolution!