could this be a descent inexpensive bow??

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, May 23, 2004.

1. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
  2. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I am not sure but I think that bow has a reserve around $200. I would bet that it is better than your glass bow. If it is no good the seller has a 30 full refund policy. You really ahve nothing to lose but your shipping.

3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    There is absolutely no way to judge a bow on a photo.
    You must play it and have enough experience to be comfortable with the bow to properly feel its qualities. Even in a store it is very hard to make a good evaluation by your self. I suggest you get your teacher or another trusted db player to help you find a bow. Or trust our fellow TBers who have appraised repeatedly the bang-for-buck ratio of Bob Gollihur's arcos, but I'm sure you realize we're walking a thin line here.

By the way, if anyone wondered how Ary France is able to make "half decent" (ie: pretty good) bows in France, it is because part of the work is subcontracted to shops that employ disabled persons. In other words, French social welfare system picks up part of the bill. Just a matter of ethics, don't hesitate to get one, you'll feel good about it (and I don't know how Chinese disabled get their bowl o'rice).
  4. It may or may not be better than your glasser. The bow resembles many of the bows that I see anyone of the dozens of chinese import companies selling wholesale to shops. Some of the lower end models do lack a certain amount of durability, the nicer models however seem to give a lot of bang for the buck. I'm suspicious at that price if it is going to hold up. If you end up getting it, let us know what you think about it.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Descent? Dissent? Decent?
  6. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    thats just my version of decent..... ;)
    hehe, jeff
  7. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    My teacher, also a luither, warned me away from some of the Chinese Student bows he's been seeing comining into the shop. Apparently, they're gluing the ferrel, making it impossible to re-hair the bows without replacing the frog assembly.
  8. Olie's right on with this post!! But, if you're gonna buy a bow on line, as he says, Gollihur's $148.00 Brazil wood bows ARE heavily favored on this Forum. Mine is German and It's great. They are octagonal. Many French Bow players have raved about them as well.
  9. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    IMHO, a person should have all the bows he/she can get his or her paws on, and a variety of weights, lenghts styles. I think that sorta goes with a "generalist bass player." Collectibles. A little costly, but worth it.