Could this be a future neck problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Hey, My good friend bought an American Standard P (w/ s-1) last week, and it's light & feels right, but as I looked at the back of the neck, I noticed a whorl of grain that looks like it would have been the start of a branch... there's no void in the wood per se, and it's not grain run-out, but like a knot, it's kinda pronounced... Would this, as a result, connote a potential weak point in the neck? It seems like a nice enough neck...I just don't want my friend to have a bum neck...

I know that's what a warranty is for, but they only last so long.

Any thoughts?
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i dont' think so. a knot might be something, but i would seriously doubt that they'd use a knotted piece of wood. the grain whorl could just be from how the wood was cut.
  3. Thanks's surely not a knot, but just the way the grain is around that area that led me to think it could pose a future problem... just lookin out for a friend.

Thanks again.
  4. Which this kind of leads into the whole flamed/figured/quilted/birdseye maple thing. Is figuring in the wood, although aesthetically pleasing, structurally unsound?

(unsound!!! git it? sound, bass!!! ha!)
  5. Couldn't tell ya. Warmoth says the rumours to this are unsound. :smug:

It's just looking at this particular neck it just seemed odd to it wasn't a proper flat sawn or quarter sawn...the runout on the grain isn't centered, it's off to one side, and then there's this whorl....

Maybe I'm just too much the suspicious type.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a MusicMan Stingray 5 string, from its first model year. It has a highly figured maple neck, and hasn't given me any problems at all.

Even ASSUMING that figured wood isn't quite as strong for necks as non-figured pieces, the difference would be very very slight, and wouldn't really affect performance at all unless you are the type to really abuse your instrument by yanking violently on the neck.
  7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Maybe if you post a picture of it in the "Luthier's Corner" forum you can get an expert opinion.