Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could this be a pre-Gibson Tobias?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I caught this ad on a Swedish gear trade-site:

http://www.musikmarknaden.se/annons.lasso?id=49975

It's a Tobias all right, but the seller claims it's one of the pre-Gibson ones. He doesn't give away the serial in the ad, he just says it's a "low serial". Not that I'm interested in the bass myself, but I just thought the price was low enough to make me a bit suspicious. I figured since pre-gib Tobiases are sort of a rarity (especially over here, since I don't think they had any distribution before Gibson took over), his asking price could have been a lot higher... he also claims it's in mint condition.

As it is now, what he asks for it is lower than what you pay for a new MIA Jazz over here. The resale value's got to be better than that, no?

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    NO and its not even USA

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Doesnt look like one to me.

Rob

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Looks like a late Pro range - not Gibson, let alone pre-Gibson...:meh:

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I was just going to contact the guy and ask for a photo of the serial (with the same carpet as background), just to see if he's full of it or just clueless and in need of help. Then I see that he's placed this ad without leaving any phone number OR email address! Smart guy. :meh:

6. Bruce Lindfield

There were lots of the Tobias Pro range around in London in the late 90s - no Bartolini pickups and nothing like the quality of earlier basses.

7. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I think this this bass is a pre-Nashville Model T. There is one currently for sale on the 'bay with better photos and it looks like the same beast to me:

Tobias Model T

Mike T discusses this model here (second paragraph after "Gibson-Buyout".)

Of course, I could be wrong...not the first time...certainly not the last time. :eyebrow:

Shawn

8. Looks like a Model T to me, too. The 4-control layout/arrangement was different from the other Tobiases I remember (including the Tobyt imports), and the all-maple construction, fretboard dots, etc. are all consistent with the Model T.

Mike

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That was my thought - Model T.

Feel free to e-mail Michael about this, he is very helpful.

Tom.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Given the above - I think this discussion has become 'moot'!! ;)

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, but it's still kind of comforting to know that he's probably not trying to rip someone off. He's not evil, just dumb. :p