1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

could this be a scam? (ebay advice)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sirdugh, Sep 12, 2008.

1. sirdugh

sirdugh

Dec 22, 2007
    columbia, mo
    I hope I'm not running afoul of TB rules by asking for advice about ebay but I really need some advice.

I have purchased things for years on ebay and really haven't had many problems. I recently decided to start selling things on ebay but haven't had much luck to this point.

My first auction was for a rane crossover. It sold for a good price but the buyer (who had great feedback) never contacted me.

I've relisted that but am also trying to sell an alesis q card that came with my keyboard. The keyboard is gone so I no longer need the q card. I put up a "buy it now" option and it did sell. The buyer paid right away and has a few recent positive feedbacks.

However, I do have a few concerns:
    -The buyer's address isn't confirmed so paypal won't cover me
    -the buyer's email and name don't appear to match
    -I sent the buyer an email to confirm his address and he eventually sent me back a grumpy email that would tell me only the city he lives in.

I suppose my question is this: Can I still get scammed if I already have the money?

I've read about requesting delivery confirmation from the USPS and a couple other tricks. Any other advice from seasoned on-line sellers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Seems kinda fishy that hes not giving you a strait up answer about where he lives, but if you have the money, he cant take it back from your paypal once its been given.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That is incorrect. If there is a dispute, Paypal will freeze the funds in your Paypal account and can withdraw from your account if necessary.

I would not ship to an unconfirmed address, for it will negate your Paypal protection in the case of a dispute or fraud.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not "ideal", but it's probably not a scam. In any case, DO absolutely DO get USPS delivery confirmation. I have had a couple of people say they never got the item I sent and they tried to reverse the charges through Paypal; but since I had a tracking number Paypal found in my favor. The only trouble would be if they used a credit card and tried to reverse the charges through the card company, since credit card companies usually find in favor of the customer, aand don't care about tracking numbers. Paypal itself is alright though.

5. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    jive is correct - this happened to me.

I sold a guy in Canada some cables. With shipping, ended up being over $50US. a few months later - he apparently ripped someone off on a motorcycle, and paypal took the money out of my account. I did not have any shipping confirmation. The guy never paid me back, even though he sent emails to me and paypal stating he had gotten the goods.

be very careful. Do not ship to a non-confirmed address - and always always use delivery confirmation.

6. sirdugh

sirdugh

Dec 22, 2007
    columbia, mo
    my problem is that I was too ignorant of the process to list that I would only ship to confirmed addresses.

do I still have recourse to tell him that I would like some confirmation or return his money?