Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

could this be latency?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by air_leech, Sep 16, 2004.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey all,

a friend gave me his Creative Audigy 2nx for trying because I wanted to get into computer recording.

only problem is that when I record with Cubase I hear a strange delay effect and the recorded channel actually plays the recorded staff with delay instead of clean.

could this be latency?
    how can I remdy this problem?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What, you hear the same sound played back more than once? That kind of delay? If so, you could have some kind of feedback problem that probably could be remedied with proper configuration of your sound card's own "mixer", and/or the settings in your recording software.

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    it sounds like I have the delay effect from Pink Floyd's One of These Days turned on.
    when I mute the 1st audio channel these echos disappear but I can't record.

do you have an idea what is the problem?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I believe I've had the same problem at some point with my SB Live, a couple of years back. It could be that the audio somehow is routed in a "loop" - the input (your bass) is set to be monitored through the output channel in the Audigy software mixer, and when the input device is set to "What U Hear" (or whatever they call it nowadays), this kind of "looping" of the signal occurs. The fact that it decays in volume for each loop could be that one of the faders in the mixer program is set to less than 100%. Set the recording mode in the mixer to something other than "What U Hear", "Line-In" or "Mic-In" (whichever you use). Play around with the Audigy's hardware settings (not in the recording software, but in the separate routing/mixing control program supplied with the card).

Mind you, this is just a guess based on vague memories - I have no idea how the newer Creative cards actually work.

My other guess that the time of the delay is the card's latency. If I remember "One of these days" correctly, that's quite a lot! :meh:

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I don't seem to find that software mixer but I dont think thats the problem because when recording with Cakewalk I have no problem (other the fact its a crappy software with ugly recorded sound).

I'll try to find this mixer though and report back to you in a post if it actually changes anything.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If it doesn't occur with Cakewalk then perhaps some sort of Cubase user's forum would be a better place to ask, don't you agree?

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    problem is that I dont know any.
    have you a recommendation?

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You hear the same signal twice, with a short delay. The first signal is the input signal that is routed directly to the output with "zero" latency. But the signal also goes through the software, with a short delay which is the latency, the time is takes Cubase to process the signal.

So you have to mute one signal, which one depends on what you need. Just routing the input signal is better when you don't need realtime processing (e.g. for using amp modeling software), the other is better when you need to hear FX in realtime when you record something.

This happens with the regular Creative Labs drivers, not with the ASIO IIRC.

You need to do this in the Windows/soundcard mixer (in Windows Control Center), like Oysterman said, or try the ASIO driver, which has a little different functionality.