Could this be made into a usable bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjbassist, Aug 24, 2013.

1. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/3963540870.html

I'm really liking this for the look of the cabinet. It's not something I would move around but leave in the front room of our 107 year old house. Wondering what it would sound like as a bass or guitar amp? What would be required to use it as a bass amp as I know nothing about tube amps?

2. solodb

solodb

Jun 3, 2011
    British Columbia
    My friend has one of those Leslie tone cabinets. Of course we tried it for bass as we do all weird and wonderful things. It sounded awful. Open back, small voice-coiled 10" or 12" speakers, small power. You would need to renovate it majorally to get some acceptable tone for bass guitar IMHO. Looks really cool though, doesn't it. We thought about putting a rotating leslie unit into it and trying it for guitar, but that project felll by the wayside like so many others.....

3. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    That's a beautiful cab. I like the idea of a piece of fine furniture doubling as a speaker cabinet. For guitar it should be great.

Using it as a bass rig? Might be OK for really low volume practicing on a 4-string. Those jensens are great for guitar, but their LF is weak; for any kind of bass volume I don't think you'd be happy. But for a living room low volume practice rig it might just work. Worth a try, IMO.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Wow. I don't know if it would work, but I'd already own it if it were local to me. You could always just stick a CN112 inside it.

5. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Unless you're willing to learn about what makes a bass loudspeaker work i.e sealing the cabinet and proper cabinet tuning/porting, bracing and selecting drivers, it's probably not going to work out too well for bass.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Open back cab with four 10s.

How well did the original Fender 410 Bassman Amp work for bass?

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You could make it into a Bassman Ten with greatest of ease!

8. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Did you consider removing (gutting is a terrible word) the insides, and simply sliding in a suitable cab? Keeping the real nice exterior, and having an efficient speaker system. The reason this occurs to me, a friend's father built a huge one-piece hi fi console, and swapped components as he saw fit.

9. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    That is a beautiful cabinet.

Cheers!

MJW

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yeah dude you should jump on this before I do. ;)

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    For $100, I bet that is sold already.

12. Hi.

^This.

Vintage Leslie cabs/amps of any kind tend to move very fast.

That would make a very nice bedroom cab with correct speakers, no sense what so ever to ruin the originals.
    IMO anyway.

Regards
    Sam

13. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    The amp itself is worth far more than $100 if its fully working. I would scoop it up and part it out for a profit, but that's just me.

14. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I dunno what sort of bass amp it could be made into, but it could likely make a KILLER guitar amp..

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Not only that, but you could put in a NOS/used Leslie reverb unit, flip it to a Leslie collector and use the money to have a custom cabinet built, rather than ruining the original. There's a thread around that discussed the same sort of thing, but with an old Silvertone guitar amp.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021