1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could this damage anything?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by atw86, Aug 12, 2007.

1. atw86

atw86

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm wondering ... I have an integrated amp for music and what not with some bass preamp outputs. If I bought a mono RCA to quarter inch adapter and connected that preamp output to my bass amp / cab, would bad things happen? Just wondering because I have nothing better to do with my time this summer.

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Not sure what you mean by bass preamp outputs. Is it a bi-amp output? Anyway, chances are it is a line level output and would be too hot a signal for the low level input on your bass amp. Does your bass amp have a power amp input on that back? If it did that would probably be the place to connect it.

You could still try it, but keep the volume VERY low on the bass amp when you do.

3. atw86

atw86

Jan 24, 2007
    The line signal coming from ... my computer for example into the amp goes through a low-pass filter and out the bass preamps (so it's not sending 200W through it). I don't suppose there'd be much current running through it, and I can change the output signal's amplification by +/- a few dB. (I think it goes from 0% to about 200% signal strength).

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Still, what do you mean by "out the bass preamps"? I've never heard those terms used the way you're using them. Can you name the specific pieces of gear you're using, or better yet post a photo of the in/outputs and a link to the specs?

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    It should function, if its truly a preamp output.
    How it ends up sounding will depend on quite a few different factors.

We could give you better advice, if you tell us exactly what all your (integrated amp) output labeling has to say,
    (sub-out/R-L out, etc.) and also the brand/model/speakers of your amp, including All of its input labeling info... (Does your amp have a fx-loop?)

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It sounds like it's merely a "sub out" connection. If so, yes you should be able run out from it and into a bass amp, effectively turning your bass amp/cab into a powered sub.

I can't guarantee it'll sound any good, but it might. Just make sure you keep all the levels really really low, bring it up very gradually, and don't bring things up too far until you know nothing's going to explode.