1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could this work ok as a super cheap back-up bass? Is a back-up essential if gigging?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KristinD, Nov 13, 2018.

1. While I'm anxiously awaiting my NBD (Out for delivery!!! HURRY UP!!) my husband texts me about this one on craigslist asking if it would be worth picking it up as a cheap back-up to use in an emergency if something unforeseen would happen with my main at or right before a gig. My husband is good with electronics and is confident he can fix the connection issues. He was considering making an offer of $50 since we can't verify if the active pickups work or really test it... My NBD bass will be a gently used Ibanez SR655 from a fellow TBer so if I had to use the sub it would at least be a somewhat similar body/neck style.... Perhaps? Thoughts? If you gig, do you have a back-up available at gigs knowing it will likely never get played? I realize a lot of people here have a number of nice basses in their collection, but if you didn't....and couldn't spring for a nicer one at the moment...would you do what you could to get yourself a cheap back-up in the meantime just in case? Or does something about this whole electronics issue or the bass itself scream "walk away now!"??

Note: I do have a 4 string but anticipate switching mainly to the new 5 with the style of music we are doing. I would be using this as a back-up to my main 5.

This is all the info in the listing (Listed at $75):
    Ibanez sdgr 5 string bass
    neck straight, no buzz
    need re-solder battery connection for active pick-ups
    made in Korea

bass pic.
    electronics issue.

Jim622 and mikewalker like this.
  2. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That bass is $75?! Ok take it. Any wiring issues can be sorted out, and even if the pickups are completely dead it'd still be worth $75.

I'd look it over carefully. That price is just too low.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Jim622, TinIndian, TyBo and 5 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Fir $50, seems reasonable to me.

TyBo, lowdownthump and saabfender like this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I've never needed a backup, but always bring one. I bring extra cables, batteries, bass, strings and head. If my cabinet goes I'm screwed, but at the volume I play it, that is even more unlikely to have an issue than my bass.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd pick up a Squier Affinity rather than a bass with unknown issues. You'll be able to easily resell the Squier and it's a quality bass for the money.

5. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    In answer to question #2, it is always a good idea to bring a backup. I learned the hard way, thinking I'd never bust a string on bass. I busted an "A" string, playing very aggressively on my Hofner 500/1 in set 3 of a 4 set gig. My temporary solution was dropping the D and G string down a slot and tuning them accordingly. From that moment on I have always had a backup.

6. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    I would grab that thing in a heartbeat. Soldering the battery connection is the simplest fix possible.
    It looks like it is a model from the 1990s, maybe an SR305 from around 1998. The serial number on the back of the headstock could answer that.

TinIndian, TyBo, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I would take a chance on that bass. The price is very good already but I always try to get a lower price unless it’s something rare . Just make sure the neck isn’t twisted and the trust rod still works.

It’s always good to have a backup bass just in case and one that you don’t mind taking out to outdoor venues where weather or other issues might arise. You might not want to take your most expensive bass to every place you play .

Looking forward to seeing your new bass today. Happy new bass day!!
    Hope you like it.

KristinD likes this.
  8. Sounds like the seller is saying it's an SR305 DX. The guy says he bought it 3 years ago thinking he wanted to play bass but he just didn't get into it. He said he played around with the wires a bit and got it to play again so he thinks it's just a matter of fixing that connection. Husband works near there so is going to look at it this afternoon. So I may have not only my expected NDB but a totally unintentional and unexpected 2nd NBD by this evening! Crazy...I guess all those times I didn't give my guitar playing, sound engineer husband a hard time for buying more gear might finally pay off Haha ;)

Mekana, TinIndian, dmt and 2 others like this.
  9. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great deal on it! I'm surprised the seller didn't get 20 calls and already gone. Enjoy #1 and #2 NBD's.

A backup bass is definitely worth having, and a similar model 5'er is perfect.

TyBo and lowdownthump like this.
  10. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Yes, in addition to a bass I don't need, I routinely bring strings, batteries, picks, cables and tuner that I don't need, guitar strings my guitar player never needs and a drum key my drummer never needs.

I have lent the drum key to a drummer once, just not mine...

As far as the bass itself, at that price point, it's defo worth a gamble, IMHO.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    20 yrs never brought more than one bass.

12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Those pickups and electronics should be different enough that you’ll enjoy the different tones from each bass as well.
    I hope you like the Ibanez feel and string spacing . If not then you’ll have 2 great basses to sell or trade towards something else. Probably make a profit on that 2nd bass too.

Win win situation esither way.

RyanOh likes this.
  13. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    The last time I needed a backup and didn't have one was roughly 20 years ago. The incident occurred on a tight stage.,The drummer knocked the bass off it's stand trying to get behind his kit; a tuning key on the headstock hit a cymbal stand and broke. Not the end of the world and certainly repairable. Definitely no blame to place...stuff happens. Not having a spare made the night more challenging then it needed to be. That was also the last time I didn't have a backup. My backup is essentially identical to my main bass, which is a personal preference. Whether you should buy the bass in question can only be answered by you based upon your personal preferences.

sm49341 and lowdownthump like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes to all of that. Have a backup. That one will work just fine. It's a great deal even if it has a couple wiring issues.

God luck with both NBDs!

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The necks on Ibanez basses are usually good,

You may want to upgrade the pickups and electronics on that bass

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Always bring a back-up, even if you never end up using once in your whole life. As for the Ibanez, I'd snap it up so long as the neck plays nice. I own a bunch of Ibanez basses and they all played great from the moment I got them. I'm sure you'll encounter a dud or two, but for as many Ibanez basses I've bought and sold, I have not encountered one yet.

17. theinfamous

theinfamous

Dec 22, 2014
    Make sure the truss rod works on that used bass.

As far as a backup, I consider it essential. I've never needed it, but I've had situations where my bandmates needed one and didn't have one.

A guitarist I played in a band with hadn't brought his backup guitar OR a spare set of strings and he broke a string. They sent the sound guy across town to pick up a set of strings at his house. On the way back, the poor guy totaled his car that, if I recall correctly, he had just bought that week. Now, whenever I play with that guy I keep a spare set of guitar strings in my case.

If something goes wrong, it is a lot simpler just to grab the other bass and figure out the issue later rather than waste time dicking around with a broken guitar.

18. Go for it. It’s always nice to have some peace of mind at gigs. I don’t want to be the person who ruins the show for everyone else in the band because I have a gear issue. It’s always nice to have backup gear. A backup bass, couple extra cables, and a pre amp pedal (in case there are any amp issues) are no brainers in my opinion for any musician who’s getting paid to play.

armyadarkness likes this.
  19. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Ibanez basses are generally well made, nice fast, thin neck too. I grab that in a heartbeat.

lowdownthump likes this.
  20. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Buy it, can’t go wrong with a sound gear

lowdownthump likes this.