1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could this work ok as a super cheap back-up bass? Is a back-up essential if gigging?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KristinD, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Definitely grab that. A backup doesn't need to be a fantastic instrument, just needs to be playable and make the right noises.

If i'm close to home i don't bother with a backup but if i'm doing a gig any more than 30 minutes away from home i throw this into the car just in case. It'll get the job done for the gig and takes up very little space.
    20151031_505-2.

2. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    A backup bass is essential if the time to change a string will cost you the gig, or if your instruments are in shaky shape to start with.

For almost all gigs, spare batteries, cables, and strings are about all that ever gets used, and even batteries are iffy since they're a basic maintenance item. Dead batteries on the gig are IMO a sign of not staying on top of that.

That said, the OP should already have that bass in hand, regardless. :thumbsup:

3. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I have 2 Electric basses for a reason. I used to have 3, but the Precision was ripped off. When gigging, I have the Ric on Channel 1 and the Jazz Bass on Channel 2. The Fender came in very handy that one time in 1983, when I broke a string.

4. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I believe the DX models have the Emg DC pickups. Nice, and are easily swappable.

5. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    No, but a backup set of strings is not a backup bass.
    All a bass player needs is a microphone, though, so he can hum the bass line into it.

KristinD likes this.
  6. Leo Thunder

Leo Thunder

Sep 27, 2018
    Instruments are subject to vibration all the time so a weak soldering point will eventually fail and that cannot be fixed on the spot.
    As to drunks damaging instruments, playing in such venues is a reason of its own to have not only a backup but an alternative, cheap variant to take to risky places instead of the valued gear.

7. I picked my main bass and my backup up for $145 between the two of them (before minor electronics repair). Definitely worth it, especially if you like active basses and are confident you can get her running.

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    "....No steenking backups!"

About 15 years ago I saw the bass player for a trio called "Flash Express" break a G string, necessitating
    a delay while performed a quick restring. In the interim, the drummer improvised a thrilling solo that rocked
    the house, won the crowd and made the show.

Takeaway: Leave the spare at home but bring a superb drummer.

Omega Monkey, Modulus 96 and dmt like this.
  9. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    People who argue against a backup bass can make the same argument against having a life insurance policy.

I had a Ric 4001 that never had any problems, until one day at a gig it started buzzing like crazy. This was quite a few years back, so I had neither the means nor the experience to fix it on the spot. Even if I did have the ability, I certainly didn’t have the time to put everything on hold for 15 minutes or more.

I didn’t have a “backup” bass. But fortunately I simply had “another” bass, and the show did go on.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Nice! Fix it up, and itll probably be your main player instead of the other one.

The 650s, are nice, but not as much so as the 600s they replaced. They switched the pickups from dual soap bar splits, to a PJ configuration. Not sure about the pre amp in them, but My 605 has the Bartolini pre in it as opposed to the 500s that have the stock Ibanez pre. I love my 605. Its by far the best Soundgear I've ever heard or played. The "back up" you've found, looks a lot like the SX series. Just looking at it. It seems to have fatter pick ups. Not quite the same as the SXs, but looks similar. You should get a far more unique sound out of it compared to the 650's PJs. Whether you love that sound or not, is preference, but I'm sure it'll be a great bass.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    To me, that is mandatory. And as I've experienced a strap button screw breaking during a gig, I was more than glad to have my backup ready to go.

12. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Depends on the gig, but for the most part I don't bring a backup because the odds of it growing legs and walking away are much greater than me actually needing it.Extra batteries, strings and a DI cover most potential issues. My gigs now are usually $50-75 bar gigs, not stadium tours.

13. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    Sure, why not.

Been playing for a long time..... Only thing that has ever happened to me are the batteries dying in my bass. So, I always bring a set of 9 volts and though I've never broken a string (ever since I sold my old tremolo'd Hondo) I usually pack an old set of strings in my case.

My backup bass is just as expensive as my main bass so I would never bring it with me due to my paranoia surrounding my gears's safety.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Same here but over 45 years.

I take spare strings and batteries but I've never needed them either.

15. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I often gig close to either my home or my bands practice room. When it's less than a few minutes drive to either location, I don't bother bringing spares. I can finish a gig when my Amp breaks, my Pedalboard has the capability to send a proper di signal. I can do without the Pedalboard, my Amp sounds good on its own. When I play a paid gig further from home, I usually bring a spare bass and leave it in the car. It's a cheap Steinberger copy that's tiny and easy to transport.

16. Just take it for that $$$ and sort out the details later.

KristinD likes this.
  17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have gigged with a Line 6 Variax 5 string for over 10 years. I've had it for 12 years. It got busted up in a truck accident 5 years ago and took me months to get it up and running again. There are multiple connectors and more than once, one came slightly loose requiring opening it up to reseat. It's been pretty reliable and as a former Line 6 tech, I have been able to keep it going.

BUT, I do bring a backup...always. Same for my amp. You just never know and I don't want my problems to affect a gig.

Polfuste and KristinD like this.
  18. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    one special bass per song

Son of Wobble likes this.
  19. You can't go wrong with that price. As for a backup bass always for me. I have been burned in the past bringing only one bass
    issues included broken strings, accidents, freaking stolen. ( it still bothers me till this day) and I told this story in another post cold weather during a St Pats outdoor gig banana the neck where the strings were laying on the frets. EBO short scale. Better safe then sorry. If it is going to go wrong it will be on a gig. :bassist: