1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could use some help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RRuud, Apr 2, 2006.

1. RRuud

RRuud

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    I'm wanting to build my own bass, but i have trouble designing the bass itself. It's not wat i want it to be..
    Maybe some of you, as outsiders, can see what could be improved. Thanks a lot

Attached Files:

2. oh... so im an outsider now eh?

no... jk...

so, have you drawn it to scale?

from the nut to the bridge sattles should be 34"...

the body should be at least 12 inches wide... and the upper "horn" should come up to the 12th fret (halfway between the nut and the saddles)

Other than that, i really dont know what to say...

measure things, or get measurements... then draw... it works out well that way..

lookin good though...

3. RRuud

RRuud

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    it wasn't meant as an offence , but rather to sayyou have an objective view becuase im working on it and you're only viewing it

If this makes no sense at all, just ignore it.

From the nut to the bride is supposed to be 35" in my case because its a 5 string. The rest i would have to check.
    And damn metric vs imperial...

4. RRuud

RRuud

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Here's a design update made with the recommendations BassMan257 made(thanks man). it's looking more like I want it to.

Attached Files:

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think the body's lower side looks too narrow in your second pic. and i like the top bass design better, but it's your bass, so you decide.

6. The first design looked better IMO.

lowsound

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The first design looked like a lob sided Schecter. The second design is better, bu maybe you might want to extend down the upper cutaway to give it more of a smooth transition. It will also make it much more playable if your thumb on your fretting hand moves toward the bass side of the neck.