1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could we get gigs?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gabe., Apr 21, 2009.

1. Hey sorry if this is in the wrong section but here goes:
    My band(formed in a music class at my high school) has just completed our last school concert, but we want to get out and continue playing music.
    How hard would it be for a group of 14-15 year olds to get a few gigs?

heres a recording of us: http://www.bigscore.net/mamusic/audio/2008_2009_mamusic_mixes/Dec 2008 Roots mp3/UncleRemus.mp3

also if you have any suggestions to improve feel free to put em down.
    THANKS!

2. Anyone?
    Is this the wrong section?

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Just be patient and continue doing what you love to do and something will come your way.

:bassist:

4. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    The music is there dude....it sounds nice, full and groovin.....its all about putting your music in front of the right people. Put together a lil press kit, pic, bios, writeup from somone other than a band member, a few tracks on CD and pass them out.

Look for spring & summer outdoor events.......Maybe contact your city parks and rec dept.......you will most likely have to start out playing for handclaps rather than cash, we all started there. See if you can get a local newspaper to do a writeup on the band.

I think you all should be complimented for the sound you all are putting out at your age.

Good luck & let us all know how things go.

Vince

5. ok, some of the instrumentals are ok (that piano player is 15 years old??!!) but the singing, both male and female, is out of key.

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Hell yeah, you could get gigs! Fourteen and fifteen year olds? Playing Zappa? God bless you all!

7. Yeah that piano/organ player is 14. He is also the male singer and has worked alot on his singing since that concert (a few months ago). He doesn't usually sing, but he really wanted to because he is a big zappa lover.

8. Thank you! If you listen through the zappa there is a jamiroquai tune after it.

9. well, in that case, he can FREAKIN shred on that piano!!!:bassist:

10. pandrew

pandrew

Mar 23, 2008
    corn dog
    this was really good!

11. thanks alot man, glad you enjoyed it.

12. klyph

klyph

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    My soundcard is totally "fritzed" right now so I can't listen to your band (or any other cool links posted here on TB).:bawl:

However, I started playing out when I was fifteen. The other guys in the band were older than I, but still not 21. The guitarist's father, however, was a bluegrass musician who agreed to do sound for us and act as a "chaperone" so that we could play bars (bless his soul). We followed the rules, didn't drink, etc. and never had a problem. I know my situation is a little unusual, and this was 25 years ago, but it might still be possible to do.

The Parks dept. suggestion is a good one. Also, if anybody in the band or their parents is involved in a charity, playing at an event (like an MS walk after-party) is a great way to get out in front of people.

There is a gigging drummer in my area who was taken to weekly blues jams by his father starting when he was thirteen, and he started gigging with the other musicians he met there a few years later. He's an excellent drummer and pretty busy. You might want to try this route, although it doesn't involve your friends. Clubowners generally might be leery of a whole band of kids, but ONE kid in a band is not so unusual.

One more thing- remeber, it's all about repetoire! A local gigging musician lives and dies by his set list (song choices). Anyone here on TB can fill you in on the continuing struggle between personal taste and what gets played on gigs (have you played "Brown Eyed Girl" yet?). I'm very glad to hear that Zappa is still a hit amongst the youngsters, but if you want to play steadily, mixing in a little top 40/disco and/or Classic Rock may help. When you get 2-3 hours of music together ('cause that's what you will need) make sure there is vocals in at least half of it, and that those vocals sound good (an impartial and musically astute adult to judge this is key). You may even want to explore the possibility of singing yourself. Any vocal instruction you may receive will only help your playing (especially when it comes to reading music- I speak from personal experience) and even if your simultaneous singing/playing remains rudimentary, you can still sing backups- and well executed backup singing is often what sets a band apart- and gets you (or your band)the gigs! Since I'm now officially rambling, I will bid you Good Night and Good Luck!

13. Electric_Spank

Electric_Spank

Jan 20, 2009
    Go for it.

14. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Wow, you play REALLY well, especially for your age. (As much as I know I hated hearing anything about my age when I was younger, I still have to say that now). I could as well have thought you were all in your 20's. It's only the vocals that is in a direct need some polishing here, especially the male vocals, but on the whole, it blows me away you're only 14-15 years old. You can most certainly groove.

Regarding gigs... It's obviously not going to be easy for you to find gigs because of your age, but you could start with playing at some smaller local festivals, private parties or similar, or even arrange an outdoors concert yourselves. If you learn more songs so you have at least 30-40 songs on your repertoire, you might also get some wedding gigs. There's always a demand for good live music.

15. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
    We have been trying to get more recognizable songs together(Don't Stop Believing and PYT), and the male singer only sings on that zappa song.

Would you recommend against instrumental songs? We have some Yellowjackets, Return to Forever, and Soulive songs that we've worked really hard on.

Any musical recommendations besides the singing?

16. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Dude freshman playing Zappa...I didn't even know who Zappa was till my 20's. Awesome.

...but yeah this should probably be in band management. Check out your rec centers, throw a backyard party, see if you can get in on some all ages shows that aren't BOTB scams.

17. Tehrin Cole

Tehrin Cole

Mar 6, 2009
    Brooklyn,New York
    Endorsing Artist:Kustom Amplifiers
    I got my very first gig,when I was 13 years old,...AND it was a paying gig!You're at a very good place,being that you're starting so young,and from what Ive read of your posting,you seem to have a real passion for this.Doing school functions is a great place to start!You can also look into playing block parties,house parties,etc.,...just to begin being seen,and heard,....the more people see,and hear you,the greater your potential becomes in meeting this objective.As your exposure grows,you may want to consider hiring yourselves some management.Also,make sure that you have regular rehearsals,whether you have upcoming gigs,or not,....this makes you tighter as band,....you want to make a great impression,everytime you go out!So with that said,good luck,have fun,and keep me posted,...hopefully,I'll get to hear you guys play,someday! Peace!

18. propel

propel

May 10, 2007
    Montreal
    i really don't see what's that wrong with the male vocals, yeah they're not perfect but i think they have a certain attitude that adds alot to the song and getting that zappa feel as a whole

19. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Both sound to me like they have about the same level of experience and talent. They definitely have "it" (good attitude, rhythm, phrasing) but need to work to get rid of the occasional wrong notes especially and when they sing harmonies together. I bet they both manage very well live already though. Few people sing that well at that age anyway and they're clearly above average.

The question is not if you could get gigs, the question is why you aren't already booking gigs. There's ways to get around the age problem, and anyway, I don't see your music as something that would work in bars anyway. In addition to what I already wrote, try to get gigs at some jazz or other music clubs in the area around you, and invite the right people to your gigs. You could also send these demos to some booking agencies.