1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could Y'all recommend a Drum Machine

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by retardedpossum, May 2, 2010.

1. What's a decent drum machine for practicing and recording? thanks.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  3. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Well, for practicing pretty much anything will do. The old alesis sr-16 is a trusty workhorse and they can be easily found used for very little money.

If you're recording too, then the samples matter a lot. The alesis sr-18, the new one to replace the sr-16 is decent. Best thing about it is that it's pretty well rounded, not just hip hop and electro stuff. Akai XR20 is basically the same thing, but with better pads (IMO) and more "urban" oriented samples meaning mostly big fat drum sounds. These things have two bad limitations: The feel of the beat can't be changed via quantization once recorded, meaning you cannot change between shuffle etc. Also, there are no "double snare" samples, so drum rolls are always going to sound pretty lame.

Then there are the roland/boss units. I personally don't like them that much. The pads are really small and they have way too many drum sets that sound very similar and the good old ones go into the MPC territory price wise.

If you're serious, I think just looking for an used MPC is a pretty good idea. It will do anything a drum machine will and much more and you can just sample any sound you wan't and use those.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Software solutions:

PGmusic.com
    Band in a Box
    Realdrums - surprising good sounding.

Razoon Jamstix
    If you have a compatible DAW - once you get past figuring it out. It will adjust tracks itself to quite to loud, and simple to busy.

Many of the other drum software programs - they are all very good. And most all have free trial periods.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hammerhead on my iPhone cost two bucks.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    if you have a laptop, or even a desktop with decent speakers, take a look at iDrums from iZotope. very nice and I seem to recall the cost being $49.

lots to choose from.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boss DR-880.

8. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Those are pretty sweet, though I went with it's little brother to save some dough, the DR-670. It's great for practicing or recording ideas, but drum sounds are quite cheesey for any serious recordings. I got mine for 110 shipped.

9. kerrycares

kerrycares Lover of God, People , Music and Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    A few more comments about the Alesis..... the Alesis SR18 allows you to plug your bass in and play your bass with the drum machine, great for practicing. I was initially turned off by all of the bass lines on the patches but they can be muted along with the drums or percussion. Great box.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    I made this simple online drum machine for practicing bass. It has currently over 10000 user contributed drum beats to jam to, many drum kits, etc.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Amazing. I could spend more time on that than here at TB!

12. quido228

quido228 Guest

Sep 28, 2008
    Nice!

13. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    jomox 888!

14. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Crap! I was gonna recommend the Alesis SR-16 because it's cheap and versatile. However, if you just want something to practice along to then this would do nicely. Really cool. Good job.

15. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
  16. fingertap

fingertap

May 12, 2010
    mrbungle:

re: your "...simple online drum machine..."

Excellent project! I personally use Hydrogen, etc. with various linuxes but I know a few nearly computer-illiterate folks who would benefit from using it. And, who knows, I might one day be without my laptop, near a terminal next to a musician or two with a spare bass and... the possibilities are nearly endless...

~

17. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    i <3 my korg er-1 and es-1

18. Lambic

Lambic Squeaky Pedals McGee

Apr 28, 2010
    Flanders (Belgium)
    Top class practicing material! And now let's practice some!:bassist::bassist:

Edit: although through MY laptop the patterns frequently show hiccups... maybe my Internet connection, or my using Firefox???

Edit 2: same problem in Opera and IE8... grrr!

19. Yeah... the Korg products are great. I have a Zoom that someone is giving to me. It has more modern, hip hop type sounds in the sample bank, fat compressed snares, 808 kicks, and such.

Untz untz untz....

20. JackoBass

JackoBass

May 13, 2010
    For recording and standalone, I use Toontrack's EZ Drummer in Garageband for about $79. Comes with tons of loops and styles (not to mention awesome sounds - it does make a difference)...