Could you at least taste it first?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When I first saw this Taco Bell commercial I immediately thought of bassplayers and EQ;)

A customer buys one of the new TB "things" (www.haute.cuisine @theBell) and as soon as he unwraps it he starts to put sauce on it. The TB guy comes flying across the counter to intercept the thing right before the sauce hits it and asks the above question.

How many here start tweaking before you really play through an amp?
  2. I play the amp then tweak it to the sound I like.. if it is how I like it, I leave it alone. :)
  3. I plug in, set everything flat and all preshapes etc. out. Then I turn it up and play. If it doesn't sound good like that it ain't worth tweaking. It doesn't have to be perfect but the basic sound has to be there. I use my own bass too. I eliminate amps in about 30 seconds based on their flat perfromance. I can tell pretty quickly whether an amp suits me or not. If it don't sound good flat move on.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You sooo crazy, Brad!!! Good analogy!

Don't really need to tweak much, since I make sure the the same amp, or one just like it, gets me what I need* before purchase.

* What I need, not what I want. I couldn't sleep if I left an Aguilar in a club or on the truck. :(
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    That's what insurance is for.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My insurance only pays replacement value if it's out of the home. The cost boost for full value is a rip.
  7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have the "bad habit" to play everything flat.
    I rarely EQ anything.