Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could you give me an idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by puddinstone, Jan 2, 2005.

1. puddinstone

puddinstone

Jan 2, 2005
    I'm a guitar player with a heavy modern rock band (a la UnderOath, Jimmy Eat World, Chevelle) and our other guitar player is going to bass making us a three piece. We have been playing together for about 2 years now but have been in bands for along time. We play shows regularly (at least 2 a month but as many as 8) with venues varying in size (small to outdoors). We need an amp and a 5 string bass for my guitar buddy. I have been using a mesa boogie dual rectifier but will soon be using a Framus. These are both 100 watt heads pushing a 4x12. Obviously we are pretty loud.

What kind of amps and cabs do you suggest for this style? How much wattage is needed to be heard? Also an 8x10 really isn't an option because of transportation limitations. I was thinking a 4x10... And of course money is an object so how much can we expect to shell out for this. The cheaper the better but quality is still very important. Could you bass experts help me please!?!?

2. Since we are talking about competing with double stacks, you are going to need as much wattage and speaker as possible on the cheap. You should specify a budget.

Carvin makes a head and 212 cab that sells for a grand for the pair. The 410 is a little more. This head is very powerful.
    http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX1510&CID=BA

And Eden Nemises 410 combo would also be pretty loud.
    I won't comment on the bass since the mods get bummed out if you ask a bass question in the amps forum.

You need this, but in the 410 version, I suppose.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/nemesis/indiv/nc810.asp

3. puddinstone

puddinstone

Jan 2, 2005
    I didn't really post a price range because we are trying to get an idea of what we would need to spend. I was guessing around a grand but if we can't get something that will hang with the guitar then we will spend more. Also, just to clarify I will be playing just one of the heads, through one 4x12.

Thanks for the reponse! :)

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wierd.........You've been playing gigs two to eight times a month for the last two years, and you don't know the answers to those questions you asked? You ever talk to another bass player, or check out the gear other bass players use at your shows?

Try doing some reading, and searching before you post.

-Mike