Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could you help me decide on a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 23, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Okay, I have many questions here, and I want some opinions and advice.

To start, I definatley need a new amp setup, I've been gigging with the Crate in my profile. (We mike it through the PA and it doesn't sound half bad, but it's not the sound I'm really looking for) I just started gigging professionally about a year ago, so amp's weren't a major concern until then.

The rig I'm thinking about is:

Carvin R1000 Head
    SWR Goliath III

and possibly adding a Sansamp afterwards. (and a rack tuner, and a POD and a power conditioner.....:D but the head/cab/possible sansamp are just the initial "tone" components I want to start with)

Okay, the tone I'm interested in, has a touch of Hi-Fi though it's very smooth/round sounding with a bit of growl in it when I want it with no "boomyness". I would like a very colored sound. Some guys tones I admire are Ed Friedlands, Marcus Miller's, early Flea, Mark White's on Cleopatra's Cat (but I don't care for his tone in any other SD tunes, just Cleopatra's Cat), the guy from String Cheese Incident, the guy from Calabro, and Timothy B. Schmitd. I'd like a tone that cuts more than it's felt, and I can solo and slap mid song without adjusting my basses preamp/pickups.

My question, is all this possible, with the setup I have in mind? I know people will say do a search on these pieces of equipment but all the searchs talk about are their "quality". I know they are quality pieces of gear, I'm more interesed in their sound and abilities. I plan on first ordering the head, plugging it in the back of an old Sunn to see if I like it, then keep it/send it back, then order the cab from MF and do the same thing with my new head.

If you don't think this setup will give me the sound I'm looking for, please offer your suggestions. I want to keep the rig under $1400 or $1500, I want to keep the head SS, and want to just use one cab. (I want a 4x10 and a horn) Unfornatley, the only things my local music stores carry are Fender, Crate, Ampeg, Marshall, and Peavey. I don't care much for the Fender and Ampeg stuff. (I like their tube heads, but their SS heads just sound "flat" to me. Last night I tried an SVT-350 and just couldn't get the thing to sound good to my ears no matter what bass I used, or how I had either EQ setup) The Peavey cabs are out of the question because their deminsions are way to large and bulky. (This is going to have to fit into a Chevy Corsica until I get my next vehicle, which hopefully going to be a truck) I remember trying a Hartke kickback about 3 years ago, and really liking it. Do you think that a Hartke is the way to go?

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and answer my questions. Even though I've played for 6 years, I don't know much about amps. I use to think that your sound mainly came from your bass and not your amp, so I would never pay attention to what I was plugged into. Again, I really appreciate your information. (and hope I didn't sound to much like a goober with my questions :D )

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What kindo of power do you need? Because for 1500, you could get yourself into a used 4x10 for about $500, and then new the EBS HD-350 (which MM uses) is $950 new...or you could find a used EBS preamp and a poweramp. But that's if you want a Marcus sound.

Personally, I'd take the used cab, a poweramp, and an SWR Interstellar overdrive, which isn't a distortion, but a versitle preamp. I know Jason (Warwick5S) swears by it, and a lot of others use it, both pro and just us regular joes. A rig like that (especially all used) would definitely roll in for under 15 hundred.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes the power thing is a good point Brendan. I'm kind of traumatized from playing in my band since my amp is underpowered and it clips so bad it sounds like I'm playing through a fuzz face. That's one of the main reasons I like the Carvin and Goliath, because they are both powerful. I'm not a power freak by anymeans, I just want to know I have enough head room and won't clip.

Yeah, I checked out some of Jason's clips at CD baby and I really dig his tone. It's that funky cutting tone that I'm really into.

Used is a good idea. Actually, once I start playing again, or get working (which ever comes first) I was thinking of taking a trip up to Daddy's Junky Music to see what they have.

Thanks Brendan

4. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I have the tone you are looking for, with my Trace Elliot rig. when I first bought it I went with the AH400SMX and the 4 - 10" cab with the horn and found I needed that bottom cab for bottom end punch. So I bought the 300 watt Trace cab to complete my system. fortunately Trace Elliot is outta buisness with the set up I have and it would end up costing you quite a bit more than you want to spend. Have you tried many of the SWR amp's?
    I first started out on a Basic Black SWR combo with 2 - 10's for just about $900.00 total. It sounded sweet and you had a balenced line out for a quality sound through the pa system. People we would play for would freak over the size of the amp and the tone I was delivering (that was befor I added the Goliath jr.
    I would test out everything you can get your fingers on.
    Good luck

5. Well let me know if you decide on an SVT-III Pro. I got one to sell and I am currently practicing in Philipsburg so you could check it out. Not sure how much power you want but it does have a nice growl to it.