Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could you help me how to solder those Seymour Duncan PU and circuit?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mr M, Nov 8, 2005.

1. I know very few thing about soldering etc. Probably it's a very easy thing that I ask but PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.....

I've got a hot stack J bass bridge PU (STK-J2B) and a Quarter Pound P bass neck PU (SPB-3). And also a Seymour Duncan circuit for passive PUs (STC3-p). I'm trying to have a Master volume / Blend / Stacked bass-treble / Mid configuration.

This is the first time that I try to put things together. The only schematics that I've found on Seymour Duncan page is this one

First I connected the P bass white cable and the J bass white cable to the points shown on that schematics on Blend pot.

What I should do with the J Bass red cable, green cable, black cable and the naked cable?

What I should do with the P Bass black cable?

Should I join all pots (one to another) by a cable and than all to the ground on the jack?

Probably those are stupid questions but I'm helpless. I'd be grateful if someone can help me

2. It's not very clear in the schematic, but the first lug of the vol. pot is bent upwards and soldered to the metallic body. That is your ground connection point.

The stack is a 4-conductor pu and the wiring is slightly different:

For the P, the white goes to the blend pot and the black to ground.

For the J, the black goes to the blend pot, the green and bare go to ground and the red and white are soldered together (and not connected to the circuit, just solder them and cover the joint with some tape).

As indicated in the schematic, the black arrows coming out of the jack and the blend pot should also go to ground.

If the control cavity is covered with conductive paint or copper foil, then all the pot bodies are already grounded. If not, yes, connect all of them with a wire soldered to their bodies.

Sometimes it can be difficult to solder to the body of a pot. Sanding a a small area makes it easier for the solder to stick. Be careful not to leave the iron touching the pot body for too long or you may damage it.

3. Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply. I tried what you've described and still no sound. I'm probably doing a stupid mistake but can't find it so I'm bringing the bass to a tech in a few hours.

Thanks again for taking time to reply :hyper: