Could you reccomend a Cheap Upright?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Funkize you, May 25, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hi guys, Im new to the DB forum, I have a Cheasey Fretless 4 string, I used to own a Lakland 55-94 5 string, I have a Lakland 55-01 5 string, and I also own a Peavey Cirrus 6 string! I play Mostly Jazz/Funk/Fusion/and Progressive Metal.

My Influances are Jaco Pastorius, John Myung, Stanley Clarke, Victor Wooten, and Many others...

Thats my Mini-intro...

So I am in the Marked for a Cheap Upright, I know that you get what you pay for, and I am not sure of the prices on a Quality upright bass, I.E. a "Crappy" upright may cost $700 while a Crappy Electric bass could be had for $200. And one of my bassist friends prides himself for Being a Czeck, and some day hopes to own a Fine upright bass himself.

Now if I were to buy one (Which I hope to) I would not be using a Bow, And I would use it for Mostly Jazz.

I dont really know if that is all the Info you need do decipher what bass (if any) are applicable to me, if you need any more info just tell me

Good times

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome to the world of Double Bass.

To begin,

1. Look at newbie links at the beginning of each forum category or go to Read carefully and seek the information therein.

2. Get thyself a Doublebass teacher. No exceptions. :)

We hope you have a pleasant stay.

This is a recorded message. *BEEP*
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Opps! Sorry, I didnt see the Newbie link up there.

Lots of into up there though! Thank you VERY much for your help, But even though I have heard (So far) bad Comments about them, I may end up getting a "Chinese" bass.
  4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Many will tell you that not all chinese basses are bad. Some are excellent. My Christopher is chinese and pretty good. Your best bet may be to find a used Englehardt and maybe then it'll dip down into your price range. Remember you'll prob need to shell out some more money for a good setup - a deciding factor.

Happy hunting.
  5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

I am ONLY 18 and have found the love of my life!!! Whenever im not working, im at Talkbass (not until today in the DB forum) and whenever I get to leave the house, my idea of a REALLY good time involves me playing basses, any bass, Crappy ones, Expensive ones, Custom ones, Electric, Fretless, Upright you name it, I like it!!!

But man is it expensive, Why couldnt I be this way with... Stamps or something?

Ive always wanted an "Ultra Fine" upright bass, Just this Perfect, Old, Worn in (In a good way) Beauty of a bass that has *that* tone...

mmmm... Day dream...
  6. If your just using it for pizz you can get a good sound from just about anything via a good string and amp & fingerboard setup. So you could get a cheep but solid bass and spend the money on getting the set up sorted.

The main issue is what is your ideal of a good sound? - From that point you need to do a lot of research on strings amp etc and you will also need to find a good luither to help set up the action the way you want.

Just a thought or 3

Good luck!

Oh yes it can get expensive! In pursuit of getting my "ideal sound", I once spent $500 on a set of strings that stayed on for about a week befor I ripped them off and put the old one's back on!
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the Reply!

I planned to run it by itself, no amp, I would probably just use it for fun in my room, because with my other Electric non-DB basses already cost soo much, it would be a shame to not use them...

Now what I need someday is rodies, that way, I could switch out one bass, for the other, then to the DB or something....
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the Reply Maestro.

I must admit that I havent thought of that, I can see that, that could make a conciderable difference.

Ohh, I forgot something on my initial Mini-intro

I have played the Flute for 10 years now, playing Mostly Classical and Some Jazz/Latin Jazz. And I have played Electric bass for about 1 and 1/4 years!

So I am under the impression that (Like electric basses) it is better to purchase used? Correct?

Thanks again

9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Buh... it gets worse. Let me summarize:

* A decent bass will run you anywhere from $1100-$4000 new. But basses usually don't depreciate in value if it's well maintained. I have no idea where the prices start used. It can't be much lower IMO.
    * A good setup runs in the neighborhood of $200.
    * If you want a bow, then you gotta shell out some $60 for a glasser, or $140 for one of Bob G's specials (they're great). That's just the low end. Maybe one of these days I'll go for one of them less-expensive mid-level bows around $700 if I get good at it.
    * Then comes the strings. One set can last quite a while but they run about $100 on the low side. Gut is much more. But... you have to experiment to find ones that sound good on your bass. Which then takes more $$$ cuz you gotta buy different sets to find the one that works for you. And as much as others opinions may say this or that is good, it kinda doesn't matter, because it's a personal isssue and it's specific to your bass. No way around it. Who knows how much we each spend here.
    * Oh then you gotta pay for lessons since you have to learn proper technique and it's utterly important. You gotta buy books, metronomes, Band in a Box software, etc.
    * Part of your study will require listening so that's more money for cd's and dvd's.
    * Oh yeah you might want extra things like a bass stand to keep your baby nice and safe at home, a bass stool, a wheel to wheel your bass around.
    * And then if you perform... then start shelling out $$$ for your amp which I've usually seen run $700+ for a decent one.
    I haven't gotten to this one yet. Your electric rig prob wont work cuz it won't sound good enough since your DB is acoustic.

Phew! Alrighty boys, how did I do? Did I miss anything? Did I pass the test? :bag:

And despite all that I still love it! I'm a grinning fool just thinking about going home and practicing.
  10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh wait, I forgot to mention that after all that, you start drooling over fully-carved basses, nice Chinese basses (like a Shen), old Juzeks, New Standard La Scala's, ancient czech/german/french/italian basses, Paul Warburton's bass, any bass from any of our amazing luthiers that contribute messages from this site, and stuff from this site:

Makes buying electric basses look like childs play.
  11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    As my teach said: Basses are like fine wine... they get better with age.

But I wanted mine brand new anyways and with laminate sides cuz clumsy me will be banging the bass around and I want it to be almost worry free.
  12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Y'know, I've been pretty surprised recently at how much one can pay for a premium slab these days. Basses like Benaventes, our own Ken Smith's, and Sadowskys run as much as a decently set up double bass. And they are worth every penny, IMHO. Throw in some of the amazing slab amps available now, and you're into some serious bucks. And it seems like a lot of our slab-playing friends own more than one, sometimes a whole collection, of really fine electric basses. If I played slab more often, I'd be all over any one of these like a monkey humpin' a football.

So it seems to me that it's a pretty good time to shop for a DB. I own one that I plan to play for as long as it holds together and my heart keeps ticking. The choices have been well documented here; the Shens, the Christophers, the New Standards, and so on.

To me, this range of DBs seem like the bargain of the century.
    I'm really just glad that I'm able to get by with my MIM J-bass and my Carvin electric rig.
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Slab = Electric bass I guess, No?

Well, Most of us (Slab'ers?) have more than one bass, for more than one aplication. John Turner or Mark Beem for example have Many High-End basses, and they are amazing. I could easily spend $6,000 on a Custom F bass, or $3,500 + on a Nordstrand Custom.

Not too many of the Slab basses make it to the $10,000 mark, but a few have...
  14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ahh, I see.

So its like a form of training almost.

So is that with any kind of bow? Because I was lurking around and found a Small discussion on "French Bows" and was totally lost, So far my interpretation of bows would be like the shape where you would hold it, Correct?

I have LOTS and Lots of questions, and Im looking up all I can here!

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Full of questions,

Tim S.
  15. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Correct IF you understand what you're doing and get some help by knowledgeable persons. As a smart newbie you can get general info here at TB, but your DB is not going to pop out of the computer screen. You'll have to scout around your neighbourhood and surroundings to find the hot spots for proper tutoring (DB teacher) & new or used DB (luthiers, music schools, community college music department, community orchestra, classic & country blues open mic sessions, for sale adds at music stores, etc...). Editing your public profile so your location is known could be helpful.
  16. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tap all your resources when looking to purchase a new DB. Of course play anything that you are going to purchase. There are some crappy basses mass produced but you might come across one that is set-up correctly and has a bow.

When I was looking to get a DB I looked to music schools and what not. Many DB students have great cheap basses and as their playing advances they make the upgrade to a nicer instrument.

Also, get a DB teacher...they will guide and help you with the purchase.

17. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    FUNSIZEYOU, Good luck with your search; you seem to be asking all the right questions... BTW, you don't like Nordstrand's do you ? LOL
  18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Not a Nordie Fan!

Ehh, I like em. I like lots of basses, and (Obviously) have been taking a real interest in getting a DB lately.
  19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    But BIG JOHNSON, you're comparing the best of slab basses vs. the beginner models of the DB's. That's like comparing a F15 to a Cessna 172. To be fair, you'd have to compare a Sadowsky or a Fodera to say... a Pollman (I couldn't think of another make so I looked one up on Lemur's site) in the $10k+ range. Sure the beginner models are cheap in comparison to other basses, but I wouldn't say that DB's are "affordable". That's a heck of alot of money, when you can get away with a MIM Fender Jazz for $300 in the electric world.