Could you recommend a vocals mic?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I've been thinking of starting to sing backup vocals in my band, so I'd would need suggestons for a decent vocal mic.

Something inexpensive($50-100) and feedback-resistant would be nice, and it wouldn't hurt if it could back as an instruments mic but that's not very important.

I don't know much about mics but perhaps something like Beyerdynamics TG-X58? What should I look for in a mic?
  2. What about a shure sm 57 or 58, I have a 57 and its good for both and also an industry standard.. and I think I bought mine new for canadian 140$ maybe? maybe less... it was about a year ago.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Umm, another option could be AKG D3700..

Has anyone head of the mic brand "TSM"? The local store's site claims that the TSM mics are "..very close reproductions of classic mics, some say these are even better than the originals, at half the price." - I see they have atleast SM58-copy on their site.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My ex girlfriend owns and operates a PA system, so we've tried out fair share of Shure copies. The only one we liked was the Sennheiser. As a matter of fact, I prefered it to the Shure's.
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    I have one Shure SM57 and two Shure SM58's, they are virtually indestructable, they've been slammed hard against stages, beaten and still are amazing. Bought for $100 from my local music store.
    Hope I helped
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Been dealing with mics since the mid 70s. Tried many other brands... Don't mess around with trying to find a cheap good mics, or trying some new off-brand model.

just buy a new or used SM58 with an on/off switch and you will not be disappointed!
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Words of wisdom. Heed them. (You can live without the on/off switch.) If you want something just a notch up, get a Shure Beta 58A. They can be had for about $130 US. An SM-58 will cost about $90 if you have a good relationship with your mic-monger.
  8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Personally, I like the Audix OM-2 for a standard stage mic and the OM-5 if you want something better. I prefer them to 58's on certain voices. The 58's tend to have thick low mids. This is useful on thin sounding voices but can get muddy on deeper male voices. The OM-2, which is the equal to the 58 has less of this quality. (Also less proximity effect.) The OM-2 is about $99 new.
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    YOu can't go wrong with an SM58. You can get one for around $100, less if you buy used. If you buy a used mic, try to get one that isn't very used. I wouldn't something with dried spit and gunk from years of use on something that I use near my mouth.
    I currently use an EV Cobalt 5 mic. Has similar characteristics to a SM58. Bought it for well under $50 new. I don't know if they still make them, but they are a great value.
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    SM58 for vocals
    SM57 for drums and guitar cabs

Look no further
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Sure SM58 is all we use.
    Road-worthy and articulate.