could you recommend me a pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone, could you guys recommend me a pre amp please? Just as a little guidelines I want to have a nice warm fat tone and I would like the pre amp to be versitile so I can go from a church gig, to a jazz/funk gig, then to a rock practice could you guys help me out? As far priceing goes just recommend me anything if its more expensive then ill save up some more cash.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like a Demeter 201 to me. Around $650?
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of options, really, depending on your personal preference. Have you been to Some preamps that I can think of off the top of my head that might get you there (full tone, but with flexibility) would be the Alembic F-1X, Aguilar DB 659, Eden Navigator, Fender TBP-1, Ashdown RPM-1, or either of the Demeters (the H has a more full midrange, IME).

4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    That 'ol tone wind is a blowin' differently in my world. normally I'd say Tech 21 RBI (inexpensive $300new, Flexible, low noise), But lately I've discovered the joy that is Eden and tube preamps again. check out one of the tube-hybrid "heads" (wt300,wt400, 550 or 800) or check out the "navigator" preamp wp-100. I've recently been considering (waiting for the money to come in) a used wt300. fat tone, can thin out bass if need be, BUT WHY? :hyper: Can be used as preamp only if need be, internal amp is loud enough for MY church situation (212 and PA) The navigator has my curiosity though....

The wt300 (older model, about 1994) goes for about $400 on ebay.

You can thin out the eden for a tech21 sound, but you CAN'T thicken up the Tech21 to get eden/tube sound.
  5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I'd agree with Tom's list, and also suggest the BBE BMax-T.
  6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend the demeter ideally, the HBP-1
  7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    All good choices although I can't vouch for the Fender pre. I have owned a couple Alembic F1-X pre's and both of the Demeter pre's. I sold my first F1-X pre because I just couldn't get a nice cutting live tone. I purchased the 2nd F1-X (a couple years later) thinking maybe I didn't give it enough time. It certainly has a killer solo tone but again I just couldn't make it happen in a live gig. It just disappeared when eveyone was playing. I sold it and purchased a Demeter 201S and really like the sound. It's very easy to get a great sound. As Tom stated, it doesn't have the flexible semi-parametric that the HBP-1 has, but I honestly haven't missed it. IMO the 201S just sounds a little warmer.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

On the lower end of the scale are the SansAmp RBI and Ampeg SVP-Pro. For a little more you should check out the Alembic F1X (or sister pre, the F2B). For a bit more than that, I recommend the Read Purity.

There are many more great ones, but those are the ones I've owned.
  9. alanhasradar

alanhasradar Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Having been through the Ampeg, SansAmp, Eden WT100, I've been settled in on a Demeter for the past couple years. So simple to use and dial in all sorts of sounds. The Eden was really nice, too, just too many knobs I never turned once they were set :rolleyes: