1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could you see yourself being an active member here for the rest of your life ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 22, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Could you see yourself being an active member here @ www.talkbass.com for the rest of your life ? I hope it outlives me !

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Banned

Jan 29, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Endorsing Artist: Red Zone Effects
    Not to be rude or disrespectful, as I enjoy surfing and posting on TB very much. There's a great bunch of people around here that I really like interacting with.

BUT...

It's an Internet bulletin board -- In other words, a pleasant distraction. TB is fun, but it's *really* not important. If it went away tomorrow, I'd miss it for a couple of days, but it wouldn't impact my real life in the least.

I figure I'll stay around until I get bored or move on to something more interesting, just like with every other place I've hung out at for a while before being drawn somewhere else. In the meantime, though, I enjoy hanging around here.

I'm not tired of TB yet, but it'll happen. It always does.

I must say, though, I'd be pretty worried if I knew someone who actually made an emotional investment in their virtual existence on an Internet BBS. Real life doesn't come through a flickering screen; it's what happens to you when you're online in the real world.

Just my two cents, obviously.

3. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    It depends, I certainly enjoying being able to engage on an intelligent level with other bassists, but I could see not being able to bring up religion or politics (in a friendly, non-offensive, and intelligent manner) when it directly links to the subject at hand getting to me. Then again maybe that's just me mistaking it for a place to discuss anything other than bass related stuff - which is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just that I don't always have that many bass related questions (or good answers for other's questions), and so the OT side seems to garner more of my posts.

All that said, this is a fantastic forum, and whilst I don't necessarily agree with the way it is run, I will try to abide by rules.

.....in short, maybe.....I'm only spending so much time here as I'm on my summer holiday, and working as a freelance studio assistant doesn't take up all of my time.

4. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I go off and on between being on here all the time and not being on for long periods of time. I can see myself coming back here to find out info on products for the foreseeable future, but I can't always dedicate the time to it. Plus, I always end up buying too much stuff after being on here for a few days... :)

5. While I do like TB, if I got to the point where I couldn't see myself living without TB, I'd need to kick my own butt. Or just get my butt off the computer and get some flesh-covered friends.

I'll be a member until the disease totally takes over TB, then I will pass, like a pretty girl's fart in the wind.

Of course, once my pocketbook dries up, I'll be forced to leave, what with all the new crap I need to buy from reading TB all day. :D

6. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    What he said.

7. yes indeedy.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    No, I'll likely get banned for something really minor.

9. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    Depends how long and what my life is like...

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    TB is still informative and fun for me, and while there are several younger TBers with conspicuous intelligence, maturity, and a lot to offer, they seem to constitute a shrinking minority as younger members continue to swell our ranks.

For some of us who have been around the block a time or two, the DB forum has already become a defacto TB adult retreat; some among us may choose to limit our participation or leave entirely; those who enjoy the unabashed exuberance and hubris of youth may find TB a life-affirming getaway.

As long as TB is fun, relatively adult, and TBers continue to provide thought-provoking insights that help this bassist grow, I'll continue to visit and contribute.

11. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    yeah, sure. while it isn't some all important figure to me, it's still fun and as long as it's around, I can see myself visiting.

12. The same thing as distant relatives. Only TB is closer to me.

13. :D

14. I enjoy coming here when I've got spare time. I've learnt a lot since I joined so I suppose when I stop learning and run out of information and advice to give others then that's all folks

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

LOL :D

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Like that.

17. No. TB has lost a bit of its luster in my eyes over the last few months. It seems to have become restrictive and heavy as of late (e.g. "you can't discuss "X" anymore or you'll be banned", "if you mention word "Y" you'll be banned", mods prematurely shutting down threads, threads dissolving into "Americans vs. Euros" pissing contests, etc.). It's just not as much fun as it used to be, and I don't see myself coming around much longer. :(

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    soulgeezer covered it for me.

19. I would like to change my response to a mixture of geez's and atoz's answers mixed with a hint of poop's, eric's and stedt's.

20. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    No. Pacman, Blackbird or John Turner will have me banned eventually.