1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could YOU spend a trillion dollars before you die?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wdinc01, Jun 12, 2007.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    So my brother and I were watching National Treasure today. I didn't catch the ending because I had to take a call, because when I came back (I had to stand outside because my cell phone reception sucks), he was pretty wild up about the amount of cash they received, and went one about how much money ten billion dollars was, then said it might have been ten trillion, which is even more ridiculous.

He did the math and said that if you spent $100 every hour for a hundred years, it would come out to a little over four billion dollars. Now, if you had a trillion dollars, that wouldn't even be 1% of your fortune.

I really thought about it, and pretty much said that I don't think I could go through a trillion dollars before I die. This assuming that I use it for myself, and not donate the money, which I know I would. Or I could put it into research or something, but I might make money off of that. I could probably buy a country in Europe, but I'd make money from that too!

So, do you think you're up to the challenge of spending a trillion dollars? If so, what would you buy? I'm sure the first answer would be a bunch of Ritter basses, but I'm not sure if that'll go far past a million dollars. Sure, you could order more basses, but Mr. Ritter is only human, and can only make so many basses.

2. I think that unless I could be charitable with some of it, I couldn't do it.

3. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Aircraft carriers & Boeing 767s. Maybe throw in a few foreign countries. :)

4. It'd be tough, but is very do-able.

Lots of houses, cars, music gear, music studios, invest in things, etc... not to say I would want to do any of that crap, but I think it is plausible given you had enough time to spend that much.

5. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    easy. I'd pay off some of the U.S. national debt.

otherwise, I'd buy California. turn it into : ICONLAND

6. antiseptic

antiseptic **antisepticised**

Jul 18, 2006
    la la land
    Step 0: Retire
    1. Donate to charity
    2. Share to families
    3. Invest in/buy google
    4. Buy housings/islands
    5. Feed the GAS
    6. My son's education
    7. Ferraris
    8. Clothings/blingblings
    9. Personal libraries
    10. FEed more GAS

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    dude, I'd have a fleet of ferraris! and each of them would carry an MTD or two.

8. I don't know, but it sure would be fun trying.
    Buy a learjet just to have lunch in Paris and dinner in Italy. A new exotic sports car every week. renting time on a race track of course to put it through it's paces.

Heck, a mansion in Beverly Hills will put you back a few million. I'd also have to buy a small island just to put my summer cottage.

Spend it all? I don't know, but I'm sure I'd put a good dent in it.

9. How much do the Rocky Mountains cost?

10. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I'd hire a personal ball washer. Special thanks goes out to Lewis Black for the idea.

11. antiseptic

antiseptic **antisepticised**

Jul 18, 2006
    la la land
    On second thought,
    I'd be BATMAN.

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    could i spend a trillion dollars before i expire?

yes. yes i could.

edit: what would i buy? a mansion and a harem, for starters. a concert hall and a full orchestra (i'd probably buy them all veryVERY nice instruments, too). and then a bunch of other s**t.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

13. Man, we are the most selfish bunch of self centered bone heads alive.

I would end world hunger.

Then by a mansion. :D

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I could probably blow a Trillion in a day.

I would give billions to research for prominent diseases, robots, music technology, all GNU supporters, reperations to {black, native american, chinese, insert_name_here}, then I would buy companies. I'd then move on to all colors and models of every toy I'd want.

Then I would go to as many McDonalds and lower paying jobs as I could and hand every person that served me 1 million.

Then I would invest.

Then I would continue and repeat.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends. Is this a Brewster's Millions scenario? If I spend it, but have assets that exceed my initial investment to show for it, does that count? Because if I have a trillion, and then buy several companies and such, they'll be making me money, so I will have essentially made money, not spent it. Or is the initial check-cutting all that matters?

16. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Step 1: Give 998 Billion dollars to charity (preferably my alma mater so it can vastly expand its projects, including a music lab would be nice).
    Step 2: spend 2 billion dollars on a brand spankin new recording studio smack in the heart of NYC, and hire John Williams as the in-house producer.
    Step 3: find a day job to make it all back.

17. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm 41 now. Assuming I live for 30 more years, I have to spend

33 Billion

a year to spend it all. Wow.​

18. Why spend a trillion, when I can spend a million?!?

[​IMG]

19. I would buy the entertainment system of America (record companies, television networks, radio stations, film studios, publishing houses) and control global culture.

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd buy as much of the world as $1,000,000,000,000 could buy. Then I wouldn't know what to do.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021