Couldn't finish the gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stinsok, May 21, 2017.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We were booked for a riverboat cruise last night. There was a torrential rainstorm just as we got underway that lasted the whole cruise. We were under a large covering but there was water rolling around the deck. On this deck there were very few places for the water to drain. Water was moving under our feet to the point that the drummer's rug was soaking it up. We decided not to risk electrical shock and stopped playing. We probably got 30 minutes of playing time in for a 3 hour gig. Couldn't really tell if the person in charge was pissed but we felt like we did the right thing.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Ususally a standard contract for a band specifies the conditions the band needs to play in - which includes proper rain protection for outdoor stages. If your equipment got wet to a stage where it was impossible to continue without risking damage, it's not your fault.

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    We had an outdoor gig here Saturday, constant rain, wind and cold , we canceled.

4. We played one like that last summer. Outdoor gig under a pavilion. The wind during the storm blew so hard it was hitting us coming in from the other side of the pavilion. We already had tarps over everything but the whole concrete floor under the pavilion got soaked. The storm hit after we had only played 3 songs and took about 1/2 hour to blow through. The club decided they didn't want everybody electrocuted and shut us down for the rest of the day. Paid us in full. That's the most money I ever got paid for 3 songs.

BooDoggie, s0c9, SteveC and 3 others like this.
  5. Rain is one thing I never have to worry about here, just triple digit heat. You did the right thing, doesn't matter if anyone got upset.

Mark

carsbybigd, Deak and Charlzm like this.
  6. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Hopefully the client understood the situation and it didn't cause any bad blood but it sounds to me like you were in the right.

7. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    My band carries full wetsuits, flippers, oxygen tanks, generators, portable storm bunker and lightning rods for little brushes with Mother Nature. If you want to be a Pro be a Pro! A little prep would have carried you through.

We also carry HazMat suits in case of BioHarzardous Events which are common in some of the places we play.

We also bring enough for everyone.

You can learn, with dedication and practice, to tolerate quite a bit of voltage. Man up.

8. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    You certainly don't need my advice in life, but I sure as heck would give them a discount if they ever booked a band of mine again because that kind of stand-up action on their part deserves to be rewarded. That kind of behavior is definitely not universal, as I'm sure you know very well.

RSBBass and SteveC like this.

9. We gave them a pretty good discount for the next gig they booked us for. Full price after that. They book us about 4 times a year now , including New Years.

10. You are fine with your decision. No sense risking your health or the health of your equipment.

I guarantee if you blew something due to the water the owner would have not paid for it to be fixed.

My rule of thumb is if rain hits my amp and I can see it, the rig gets shut off and covered. It's too expensive to replace

11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    You as not a real pro until you can afford an onterage of people to handle those adverse conditions you've listed. :D

I'm not a pro, just an "arteest":cigar:

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I always carry a big tarp and a handful of bungee cords when playing outdoors. When i was using a 215 the casters kept it off any floor that might get wet so it was just a matter of tarping it and wrapping a couple of bungees around it to keep the tarp in place. When i switched to a 410 with no casters, i built a frame out of 2x6 lumber that got my cab about 4 inches off the floor that went with me to outdoor jobs. I now have a frame for the 112 cab(s) i use.

13. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    The Music never stops...
    IMG_1313.JPG

12BitSlab likes this.
  14. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    I thought the entourage was a given! My mistake.

15. ak56

ak56

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Around here, we carry all that stuff for indoor gigs.:D

S-Bigbottom and JRA like this.
  16. Got caught in the same storm last night for a block party. we got paid up front but it's. Ice to get to play. No fun to set up, watch it rain and then tear down. The band after us had to cancel too.

17. BooDoggie

BooDoggie Typical Dumb-ass with a degree

Mar 29, 2014
    We did a free benefit gig sponsored by Wal-Mart in the parking lot of one of their stores once. A sudden shower came up right in the middle of our set. We managed to cover our amps and mixer and then flipped the floor wedges over. When the shower passed we uncovered everything dried everything out and continued. The horns in all of my floor monitors were blown, but the show went on. The organizer of the event simply told me it was my fault for not covering them up sooner and offered no support to defer the cost.

s0c9 likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Let's see.....shutting down the gig during a storm on a boat.

Yep, you're good. :thumbsup:

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    LOL, Considering some of the places I play, I should look into this.

20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This can't be the first time that has happened on thier boat. They need to figure out how to keep the band dry if they want live music.

RSBBass and BooDoggie like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022