Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving chucklehead...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Props to the Beagles for eliminating this durd.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If he shows up knocking on the Steelers door, I hope they sign him. T.O. is one of those guys you hate until he plays for your team.

-Mike

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    They'll still have to pay him $1 million to sit on his ass for the rest of the season, according to the article. No wonder why I don't give a rat's about sports...

Slug

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

He and Randy Moss are two peas out of a pod.

No class. Totally Bush League.

Something tells me T O is gonna be with the last exit
    before the dump soon, the great recycler, Al Davis.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I disagree.

As poorly as my team is playing (reference my new sig file :spit: ), I would not want him on my team. He's a certain "team cohesion killer". The guy is all about TO and nobody but TO. He's a complete jerk, and will cause trouble anywhere he goes unless he one day somehow "gets it". I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    They were talking about that the during the off-season.
    TO goes complaining about a new deal this year, and the Eagles, Niners, Baltimore, and NFL bends over backwards to accomodate his desire to play in Philly last season.

Now the guy's market value has plummeted. Nice move for a 32 year old receiver. He gets good deals, thinks he's above the NFL. The NFL should have never bought in to his whining and complaining last year. It didn't help his character at all.

But considering that Keyshawn Johnson has less talent, got inactivated for the season by Gruden, he still managed to get a roster spot for Parcells, no less. T.O. will probably find another team, but not for the money he thinks he deserves.

8. By "get it", Gard means "hit by a milk truck". (implied bodily harm not endorsed by poster nor the referenced TB member).

Mike

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

as a Dallas Cowboy fan , i just gotta say ...
    i think you guys are being too harsh ...

i mean , how can you expect the guy to have team spirit ,
    or to show appreciation to the fans , when he has to scape by on
    only $ 6.995 million per year ?? ... that's just outrageous !!

he certainly deserves more money and praise than he's been given ...

... NOT !! ...

:bag:

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I don't know. Seems like the rest of the team was brought together after he was suspended. Maybe getting him on your team and suspending him is good for morale.

11. well, i expect the raiders will pick him up...

12. I'm not one on sports, but what exactly did he do?
    They didn't really make that very clear.....

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Perhaps he could become a lead vocalist :ninja:

14. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Trust me on this, because I'm a die-hard Eagles fan. Learn from my mistakes. Last year when we got TO, I was psyched, despite all the baggage he brought with him from SF. I was eager to give him the benefit of the doubt that SF was just a bad situation, and with an all-pro QB and a winning organization with strong clubhouse leaders, he'd be fine. Last year, he was the missing piece for the Eagles offense, and they pretty much romped through the regular season. When he got hurt, I was bummed, but the way he came back to play in the Super Bowl, even though the Eagles lost, was amazing. At that point, he OWNED Philly. Hard to believe that was nine months ago.

Since then, it's been pretty much all bad. He wanted a new deal (after one year!) and made it clear, as time went on, that he'd be a pain in the ass unless the Eagles caved. He started taking shots at McNabb, which is a big no-no in Philly. McNabb was too classy to respond, but the die was cast. The Eagles still bent over backwards to give him every opportunity to stay, but when they made it clear they weren't going to renegotiate his deal after a year, he had no interest in being there. TO is a phenomenal athlete, a hard worker and a truly great receiver, quite possibly the best in the NFL, but he's such a head case the Eagles are willing to sit him with pay rather than listen to him.

Even with everything that's happened this year, if the Eagles had won the Super Bowl last year, I'd say taking a chance on TO was worth it. Now, he's burned bridges in two cities, and no other team can realistically think they can keep him happy, unless they're willing to throw him the ball 30 times a game, pay him whatever he wants whenever he wants it, and kiss his ass. Somebody will take a chance on him next year, but not for the kind of money he wants, and it better be a team that's ready to win now, because he's not a long-term solution to anything. The Eagles probably won't make their fifth straight appearance in the NFC Championship Game, but I think losing TO will have a positive impact on the team's psyche that offsets the loss of his productivity.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Speaking as a person whos team he has played on... you cant be more wrong... that guy sucks, i couldnt stand watching 9ers because of him... i was very happy when he left... and every 9ers fan i know was this way...

screw him... he can go play with himself...

Yeah... he and raiders fans are going to be a match!

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was with you until the last part of the above quote. He may be alot of bad things, but he does not suck in any way at playing the position of WR at the professional level. Arguably the best right now.

I'll still take him, despite what I've read. On an aging team like the Steelers, they don't need a long term solution right now. I know it is too late to do anything about it this year though.

-Mike

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent post, thanks for the insights. Well, if Lurie had opened his checkbook and paid TO, then we wouldn't be where we are right now.

-Mike

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, more like TO is the "Yngwie" of football...

i give you brian westbrook, aka the iggles' "Ultimate Weapon", who kept his public trap shut, played things professional, and got the contract that he felt he deserved.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    He'll be a Raider.

All a-holes go to play for Oakland...

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    There are two ways of sucking... i never said "he sucked as WR". i said he sucks... him... as a person... not as a player...

As WR... he might be good on paper... but i just couldent get into it when he scored... it was one of those "great, he is going to do something stupid again" type of feelings...

I just dont think he is a good player because even though his numbers were high he was not fun to watch and i think he made every team he played on a worse team even with numbers he brought.

To each his own i guess i am just glad 9ers are sucking with out him on the team...

Remeber SNL scatch about "the compony computer guy"? That guy sure knew a lot about computers but in the end he sucked at his job... right?