Couldnt part with my ESP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I dont know if anyone here has gone thru anything similar but about a month ago i just stopped "liking" (i guess would be the best word) the tone on my ESP B405 and i put it up for sale on ebay...packed and everything, today i decided to have a look at it and have a little play and i just fell in love with it again...i fiddled with the EQ and i got the tone i was after, i cut the mids completely and put both bass and treble on max, it sounds killer, but back to my point...why the hell didnt i do this before, what did i not like about it? dumb was i...could it be that i played it so much i just got bored of the tone? and just needed some time apart? (like with a girl)

luckily no bids were made on it and i took it off the bay and gave it a big hug :):hyper:

anyone experience something similar?

2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I've had a similar instance. I used my SX Because I LOVED the jazz tone. I was not fond of my precision bass looks (looks too much like a strat to me) or the tone.. then my SX was in the shop and I took my '73 off the wall and I fell in love with it.. I was toying with the notion of trading it for a 80's EB MM StingRay and I played my P-bass for 5 minutes adn said no... I think we get used to our babies and take them for granted.
  3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Dude, I think I saw your ESP on the 'bay.

Glad to hear you fell in love with it again, I'd dig an ESP B404 one day.

And I hated my Squier until I got my jazz bass and ignored the Squier Precision for a while, then when I came back to it, it was a nice great comfortable old feel again.

And then once I defretted it, it was 200x better, because it was somethin' completely new, it was "my first fretless" and my first time going insanely at one of my basses and yielding something positive.
  4. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Weird. Just talking with the wife about selling my ESP/LTD B104 fretless...

5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    You've got a sweet bass there, Oliver. I would be reluctant to part with it, too. I have found that EMG's B-64 EQ sounds the best when the mids are cut. The maple top on that bass really brightens the tone. When I practice with my C-304, I cut the mids all the way. When I record or play with a band, I set the EQ flat. It seems to sit in a mix perfectly without any adjustments. Congratulations on you new-found love.:bassist:
  6. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    cheers for that guys, ESP's are truly quality instruments.

i have yet to try this at jam, but i will cut the mids completely and boost bass and treble, i have to play thru 2 distorted guitars, do you think the bass will cut thru the mix without any mids? since mids mostly are the "cutting" element.
    its got huge tone without mids so just wandering

thoughts anyone?
  7. gregandgail

Dec 15, 2005
    Austin, TX