Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Couldn't slap to save my mother / slapping d + g strings

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FretGrinder, Mar 10, 2001.

1. ok - i'm finally bored enough to teach myself to slap.

I can cope with the basics, at least have enough of a grip to tech myself how to get a bit better (not as good as with fingers / a pick though) - but i cant seem to hit the d + g strings without smacking into neighbouring strings.

Do you mute the others, or just practice until you're accurate?

Any miscellaneous tips for a beginning funkster with intermediate "other" bass skills would be great. Thanks.

2. Practice!!!!!!
    When i first started slapping i could only hit the E string properly. Now i have no problems. Just keep playing. I never used muting either...

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    You can practive accuracy by slapping the open E string, then muting it, then the open A and mute it
    go from E --> A --->D --> G --> D ---> A ---E

When you've done that you can do the same thing except instead of muting after the slap you do a muted slap, which is to slap a string while muting it with your left hand.

Practice this pattern a couple of times per day and after a few weeks or so you'll have it down pretty good I think.

later,
    Lovebown

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

"¡Slap it!" by Tony Oppenheim is an excellent book that covers the topics you need for proper slapping. Besides, the author displays an interesting philosophy about practicing. The book comes with a CD. I highly recommend it. Here's the URL:

http://www2.slapit.com/slapit/

:)

5. Thanks, guys.

I don't think i'll ever play a slap solo with my band (the looks i'd get from my bandmates ...), but i could conceivably work a little slap / a few slapped "ghost" notes into my pick / fingerstyle basslines once i get my accuracy and muting down.

6. Keep talkin` yall!!

I have tried to slap/pop but have given it up .... :(

OK,poppin` is a wee bit easier than slappin` but still not my cup `o tea!

I would like to at least become "passable" at this...especially since them thar damn guitar playerz
    always say they got/learned this from the bassists....

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    A few years ago I was in absolute awe of the way some (most) bass players could slap. I too could only hit the E-string and was kind of spastic at popping or slapping anything on any of the other strings. I kinda thought it was hopeless for me, but felt determined.

I sat and almost meditatively would slap/pop/slap/pop really slowly as long as I could as much as I could. If you do this long enough an interesting thing happens. A dancer once told me that our bodies have what I think is called kinetic memory. After doing something enough times, the body memorizes it and goes into automatic pilot. That's what happened with the slap thing with me. What seemed impossible all of a sudden was kinda just happening on it's own. I was picking up Flea lines and coming up with my own things that were totally impossible a few month earlier.

I guess my point is to just be really patient, and work really slowly. It will come.

There is also a video worth it's weigh in Gold that taught me a lot of the basics, I forget the guys name though. Lots of people here could tell you - Alex Slarvorsky (or something like that).....

Good luck.

8. I can sorta do it just because i've played bass for a few years, but i've never been interested enough until now to really bother educating my muscles with habitual excercise, so I'm not reliable. I can do things sometimes that impress me, and other times I just can't keep it together ....

I actually wanna learn to play as many kinds of music as best i can - I woke up one morning last week thinking "man, i've been playing for 4 years - I better start getting really good." Time for some serious discipline ... Thanks for all the advice and enthusiasm, guys.

9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Actually i practiced with hitting a note then the octave then just do that all over the place!

10. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Go to www.michealdimin.com, he has a neat little "drum stick trick" to help get the slapping form down..... it works pretty good!!!!!