1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Counter Culture

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Aug 16, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

There was a time when a some of us here where I live reffered to ourselves as counter cultural. We were pretty much anything goes left wing types. Now that culture has become the mainstream culture. Some people still call it counter culture but in reality counter culture here is something other than that.
    Or, is counter culture just the greasy spoon where I sit on a stool and have coffee, eggs and hashbrowns in the morning? ;)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I see you're in SF. As an SF native, let me tell you what seems "mainstream" there is still considered bizarre and unthinkable in the vast majority of the US.

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    the US doesn't really have a counter-culture presently. Instead, everybody has grouped into their own little cliques of shared interests. Yeah, the Occupy movement is around, but they don't even know what they want, they just know that they're angry.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I was going to say something along those lines. No counter-cultures, but I would say a whole lot of sub-cultures.

5. I was going to say that The Counter Culture has morphed into a TON of sub cultures. Media allows us to be WAY into a bunch of different things, now.

6. slobake

You're right, it's good for me to be reminded of that. It helps me understand some things that people here on Talbass find outrageous or bizarre that just seem normal to me. Also me and a lot of other people came here because we didn't seem to fit in where we were. Yes there are a lot of subcultures here too, but we overlap each other in some ways.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Media - for sure, but I'd say specifically social media has now become one of the biggest tools in regards to both polarizing and yet also bringing like-minded folks together.

8. slobake

Yeah, I hate the polarization. A belief that if someone doesn't see things like you they are a non-entity and anything they say or think is invalid. Sometimes it is just focused on one issue.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Remember the Furry Freak Brothers? I know you do. ;) Each of them, along with the other characters like Country Cowfreak, represented a different idea of what "counter culture" looked and acted like. You think Franklin would share the same political views, or musical tastes, as Phineas?

10. +1

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I utterly hate it too. I really do. I'm often railing on FB about the stuff I see.. often some otherwise very good, very intelligent people allow themselves to be caught up in the "us vs them" mentality, whether it be religion vs atheism, conservative vs liberal issues, political party issues, you name it. The problem that I honestly have with it, is NOT that people disagree - that's perfectly normal obviously - it's that people get so caught up in a frenzy fighting for "their side" that they deliberately choose to ignore the truth in the "other side". I guess that's what makes a "hot button" topic a hot button topic after all - the fact that there's an amount of truth and validity on both sides. To fully and absolutely embrace one side, you almost have to make an effort to ignore the truth on the other side. What better way to do it than to discredit your opponent? "they're stupid, they're ignorant," etc. THIS is exactly what I'm seeing more and more and more and I hate it :(
    Maybe it's because it's an election year..I dunno.

12. slobake

I do remember them, well kind of . :D Back when they were popular people who liked them here in San Francisco probably listened to KSAN. That station played a variety of music that all the Freak Brothers would have liked. There was a common thread somewhere, I think it had something to do with rolling papers. :bag: I can remember when that started changing and radio stations started focusing on demographics. :spit:

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Having lived on the West Coast the last 30 years and now living in New England, I can confirm this comment to be accurate.

Some of the questions my co-workers ask me about CA and the West Coast in general crack me up. I had one nurse ask me if I had a pony tail and a surfboard when we lived in WA. :D

-Mike

14. So true.

On a somewhat similar note, it seems to take 5-10 years for things that explode in west coast cities to finally take hold on the east coast and elsewhere in the US. Somewhat recent examples: craft beer, burritos, tequila, good coffee, clothing trends, etc.

But adorable counter culture freakazoids will never be accepted in most of the USA.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Let me know where the good coffee is on the east coast. We're still looking. We found some that will work for now, but good coffee is eluding us.

-Mike

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    When I was part of the counter culture, I used to hang out with my non-conformist friends. We all had long hair, and experimented with different chemicals. It took us about 20 years to figure out that as non-conformists we all pretty much conformed within our counter culture group.

Now we're a bunch of middle aged dudes. (And a few younger corpses)

17. slobake

Maybe true, but you can't find a good porkroll anywhere around here.

18. It depends on the city or town, but overall the chances of finding a good local shop in the east that knows how to buy and make coffee has gone up exponentially starting about 10 years ago. Your best luck is in the right neighborhood of a big metro area.

19. ...or pizza! Although Escape From New York gets a B++.

San Francisco also tries to make blue crabs but they forget the Old Bay and the crabs are all big and deformed and not blue and people only eat the legs.:)

20. slobake

Yup, that about sums it up for me too.