1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Counterfeit "Gibson" EB-3 on ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mordechai, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The tuners are not original, and I wonder if the headstock was refinished, because mostly they were painted black with a diamond-shaped inlay. But other than that, it looks legit to me.

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I looked at that earier and thought the neck pocket area looked funny. The headstock logo should be inlayed, not painted/decal but the headstocks exploded on a lot of these basses. Unfortunately the headstock just doesn't look like its been rebuilt. My gut says fake but I'm no expert.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The carving out in the control cavity is poorly done Crude even. Markings on the upper back of headstock have been purposely scratched out. The tummy cut on the back of the body is overdone. The neck pup is too far away from the neck. Truss rod cover isnt right at the nut end. No indication of headstock break to explain decal gibson logo. Its a fake. The neck heal damage looks bad enough to be cracked wood to. Imo.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I don't know the first thing about Gibsons, but the decal logo and obvious scratched off serial number on the headstock seem pretty fake.

6. I was cracking up just reading the Chinese to English description.

7. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

No it isn't. They were made with the neck pickup moved further from the neck for a while. Don't know about the other issues you listed, but that one doesn't mean it's a fake. In all probability it is a counterfeit, but not because of the neck pickup position.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Looks like a 70's EB-3 with a 60's early bridge added. Has to be stolen with the serial number scratched off like that.

The Gibson EB3 bass guitar

9. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Shape of the neck heel looks off to me, compared to some photos of 70s models I found. Not to mention the overall sketchiness of the item description.

10. Just look at the pots and varitone, these are very cheap, Gibsons had CTS pots installed. Also, the bridge is early 60's style , that type of tuners were never installed on these Basses and the pickup position is late 70's. Worth under $100 IMO.

11. FWIW, Gibson went to the headstock decal in '72, so the lack of inlay alone doesn't mean it's a fake. Also, as already pointed out, the neck pup was moved that year, too.

Counterfeit, parts bass, knockoff, or old whatever, it looks like somebody paid $500 for it.

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I wouldn't buy it. The body has too many issues.

13. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Ugh...red flags abound. Run away.

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    Well, someone "bought it now." (It was not me)

For their sake hope it is as close to legit as it can be and works.