1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Countersunk dots on stripped SX neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HillBillyWannaB, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I posted this over in the setup section, but it probably needs to be over here instead.

I'm doing a cheap back up bass project with an SX vintage neck. The neck had that orange "vintage" tint from them that I stripped off. Now it seems the fret marker dots are just below the level of the wood. My plan was to paint on blocks and binding then use a sealer to smooth it all out (like you would a waterslide decal). There's probably only 1/2mm difference, but I don't want it to show through.

Would you try to fill this little bit of space with filler then sand it, or would some sealer bring it up enough for me to paint the blocks.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

2. No help?

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    No help? It is close to the holidays, so I'd imagine folks are getting their "to do" stuff done..........Any how:

Depending on what you may have available to you (tool wise), If it were me, i'd fill it with something a bit more "solid" (wood) rather than filler (wood putty or bondo). I would pull the "dots" out and glue wood in it's place....level them, then fill any conspicuous edges, so that even if you paint it, there will be no sign of "settling" with putty or bondo (just like your current "countersunk" dots), when you paint or waterslide your blocks.