1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Counting Crows '64 Precision For Sale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mattmalley, May 2, 2017.

1. mattmalley

mattmalley Don't wear your bass higher than your pancreas Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Price:
    $7000.00
    Strings:
    Celebrity owned with lots of mojo. Purchased from the famous "Pete's Guitars". One of the true players' basses in sound look and feel - in perfect playing condition with straight neck and set-up. Appears on all of the Counting Crows records starting with Recovering the Satellites in '96 until owner Matt Malley left the band in '04. Appears on tv shows, concert footage. Fralin pickups, newer machine heads, (originals had rust and were hard to turn - Matt wanted this to be a player's bass), newer pickguard and pots. Re-fretted in 2002. All original parts are included as extras with sale of this bass - (original pickups, pickguard and pots). Also including '57 style anodized pickguard. Newer tweed case included. The date on the neck is June 5th, 1964. Bring your best bass and A/B it with this one - it will blow everything out of the water!
    Fender 1964 Precision 3 Tone Sunburst

d00dr, woodyng2, Funky_Be and 7 others like this.
  2. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZ BENZ
    I bought a Sadowsky off of Matt. A super nice guy and great to deal with. Bump for a killer bass and super guy! GLWTS!

mattmalley likes this.
  3. Matt, CC is my favorite band for 23 years. I have played along to your songs and your bass lines, in my living room, for years. Of course, my playing leaves a lot to be desired compared to yours. I'm also an avid vintage Precision collector.

Good luck with the sale. I've heard nothing but great things about you. To the extent I have bass "heroes" you are definitely at the top.

mattmalley and pjbassist like this.
  4. mattmalley

Oct 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Joey! It takes two for a smooth transaction so I appreciate your kindness too!

5. mattmalley

Oct 31, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    That made my day Rob - thank you for your enthusiasm for my playing! I'm a fan of the "songwriters' bass player" so C. Crows was certainly a great venue for me. Paul McCartney never brought a crowd to their feet with a bass solo but boy could he write a song and play the right bass part to it - and that's where my heart lies and it sounds like yours too. Rock on brother!

Rob S and woodyng2 like this.
  6. +1 to Rob's post.
    "August And Everything After" ranks as one of my all-time favorite albums. Love the bass parts.
    There's not very many records that I will listen to, start to finish, but that's one of them. Every song was great.
    Good luck with the sale!

Rob S and mattmalley like this.