1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Counting Crows bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jackson_bass, Mar 3, 2008.

1. What bass is used on the 'August and everything after' CD? I am listening to this for the first time in a long time and I really like the tone from that bass. what is he using?

2. Everytime I've seen the Crows in concert Matt was using a Fender jazz bass and an Ampeg baby bass upright through a vintage Ampeg B-15 fliptop. I assume those are what he played on the album, although I've seen pictures of him in the studio playing a full scale acoustic upright.

3. Thanks. I need one of 'em. . . . . I love that tone! I took the 'August' CD to Iraq and listened to it almost every night. . I have tried to pinpoint that sound and I was thinking it was a "P" with really dead strings, or muted. The Ampeg baby bass explains it. Thx. a lot

4. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    I bought one of my Sadowsky basses from Matt. Check it out here! He told me he used it just for the studio and never live. But, it could be my Sadowsky on some of what you are listening too!

5. WOW. Great! Now I need to save money for a Sadowsky. I do remember listening to Tal on the Crossroads DVD and wanting one of those too. That may just be the nail in the coffin that made up my mind.. . . . . . thanks a lot for the info.

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, I seem to remember a Bass Player article on him when that album came out, and in it he said was using a fretless MM Stingray. I can't find any references to confirm that, though.

Mike

7. That's what he played on SNL around that time -- a black, unlined Stingray into an SVT. Using a pick, of all things.

8. Well I asked Matt on his forum, and the response was. . . . a fretless Stingray with roundwounds and a hollowbody fretted Hofner with flats........ great stuff. One or two cuts actually had the ray on the chorus and the Hofner on the verses.....crazy stuff.

9. I found I often used a pick with my fretless-which was strung with D'addario flats - makes it easy to palm mute & thus gives a great THUMP & muted note. Very old school uprite like:)

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A bit of trivia here. I used to see Matt quite a bit back in the mid 1980s when he was in a Bay Area band called Mister Dog. He played a fretless Steinberger (with a pick) through Trace Elliot amps. He has always had great tone and technique.

11. RSJ4STRING

RSJ4STRING

Aug 24, 2007
    Not being nosey, but how did you hook up with him to buy his bass? Just wondering. Thanks!!:)

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I talked with Matt extensively after a crows concert. The bass that he used on that album was a Fretless Musicman Singray with a rosewood board. Is that good enough for a confirmation?

That would be the same hofner he used on the VH1 unplugged session too. Cool to know.

13. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I was actually just hoping to find a copy of the original BP article, but yeah, that's good enough confirmation! :)

Mike

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Mr Jones was entirely recorded in one take with that bass though. :)

15. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Where else..... The Bay!

16. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Coincidence...I looked at that bass also, and was tempted. Weird thing is I asked Matt what his reasoning was for selling it, since he talked it up so much on Roger's website-

"The bass outplays everything I own, including a '62 stack-pot Jazz I bought from AC/DC's bass player! I hope to buy more from you in the near future Roger, I could see your basses being the only ones I really reach for when recording."
    – MATT MALLEY
    Bassist, Counting Crows

He got a little beligerent with me apparently because I questioned some inconsistencies in his bass preferences noted in his ebay ad and his remarks on the Sadowsky website.

17. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    WOW, he was extremely nice and patient with me. I must have sent him half a dozen emails with questions. He told me that he really wanted a P Bass from Roger and that he wasn't really crazy about the color.

I have talked with him many times since purchasing the bass from him. We actually have alot in common as we found out our birthdays are one day apart. But, I found Matt to be a really nice guy!

Note: The bass looked like it just left Roger's shop. I couldn't find the slightest litte mark anywhere. I installed a Hipshot D-Tuner that I bought from Kevin at Sadowsky and gave it a nice setup with a little help from Rob (Dragonbass).
    It is an awesome looking/playing/sounding bass!

DSC00178.

18. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Does anyone know which model Hofner hollowbody he used?