Counting Crows - "Hanginaround" Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by toniwonkanobi, Aug 7, 2013.

1. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Endorsing 1964 Ears, LLC.
    :help:

I love this tone for certain situations. Trying to decide what I need to buy to get there. Sounds to me like a Jazz style bass into a compressor that is squashing everything, as well as some moderate 'drive-y' tones, like what one could get with an SVT methinks.

Compressor? Ampeg SVT? Both? Thoughts? :bag:

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I think you're on the right track.

Definitely sounds like flats to me.

Hard to say what was used in the studio for that tone. I can't imagine they were pushing an SVT loud enough to make the power tubes sweat so I'd be looking fora pedal. It's a vintage-y dirt tone but not particularly SVTish to my ear. A pushed B-15 maybe?

The Flipster would probably be my choice to try and get that sound although I think johnk_10 would be a good person to ask.

3. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    I hear you on the SVT comment. Flipster or maybe one of Tech 21's offerings (e.g., BDDI, PDDI, VT)? Flats for sure. Kind of not 'honky' enough for P bass, you know? Plus the bassist was known to play a stacked knob Jazz during that era.

PS: I asked the bongomania dude. I'll hit up John Kallas per your suggestion.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, a flipster or ginger with flats and a compressor.

5. toniwonkanobi

toniwonkanobi

May 23, 2008
    Northern California
    Thoughts on what compressor would get me there? I loved the Effectrode PC-2A, but hated not having a 9V option and having to bring a power strip just for my amp and the PC-2A pedal. Not to be a whiney baby, but it was one more thing to bring ;)

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the diamond bass comp, EMMA transmorgrifier or keeley 4 knob are my faves. and the diamond or EMMA might even come close without the dirt pedal.

7. Bump. Interested in further discussion--

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021