Counting eighth notes.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by theramonesx914, May 18, 2007.

1. theramonesx914

theramonesx914

Apr 24, 2007
    Ok, what in your opinion, is the best way to count 8th notes. I am learning Breaking the Law, and most of the song is eighth notes. Personally I count them 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. But, are there any ways to count them easier to keep up to the speed of my fingers??

2. 1 and 2 and etc. is the usual way.

3. theramonesx914

theramonesx914

Apr 24, 2007
    Yeah, thats how my teacher counts, but I just wasnt sure if one way was better than another.

4. meev991

meev991 Guest

Mar 11, 2007
    I count 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 and just feel the groove. If i count too many numbers, my brain gets tired:smug:

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Chances are that you should probably follow convention and count them 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. You will likely find that you communicate better with other musicians if rehearsing or discussing rhythms if you use this system.

6. theramonesx914

theramonesx914

Apr 24, 2007
    Haha, I just tried 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, and now I actually find it is easier. Thanks.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    following from that, when you need to count sixteenths it's:

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

(for common time, of course)

I've heard people try to do other things, but that is what every music teacher and book I've ever seen teaches, and for good reason.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    For some reason I can't associate words with timing. I don't know, it seems like I'm using too much brain power to think about saying the words and I don't have enough to play at the same time. =/

9. do it without your bass, slowly, just tapping on the table or something, counting along out loud or in your head. when ready take it to the bass!

Count ! and 2 and 3 and etc mate,

if you tell another musician for example, im playing on the and of the 2 then they will know what you mean, and play on the 4th 1/8 note. if you say im playing on the 4, they will most likely think you mean the 4th 1/4 note and play on that. convention is there to give us a greater ability to communicate musically!

10. +1

:)

11. i call them "up (beat)" and "down (beat)"

"gimme the kick on the down of 2 and 4, and the up of 4"

works effectivly well

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I know the notation, my insructor taught me that. But when learning a song while looking at sheet music, I can't think "1 e and a", I just kind of do it. Most of the time I'll have to do it slowly so I get the beat down correctly, because it doesn't click in my head very easily, but counting and stuff only makes it worse I found.

13. well you can get there it seems, slowly or not its better than not getting there! I would suggest it is worth learning to be able to do it counting as well because it allows you to internalise a rhythm as well as being able to instinctively do it. start very very slowly.

if i said count along and tap on the 1, the and of the 2, the 4 and the 3 and 4 of the next bar could you do it? slow it down so its barely musical, just as long as you get it right. then when you know exactly when you are tapping start to speed it up and try and make it musical. before too long you have a basic samba beat!

this is just an example, I have no doubts that you can do it if you start of at super slow snail pace.

14. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    +1

15. +1

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021