1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Counting In "Brown Eyed Girl"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by m0ranwad, Mar 12, 2013.

1. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Before you laugh and scoff, let me explain.

I know that this is 4/4 time signature, so it makes perfect sense to count "1, 2, 3, 4"

I've been in contact with a working cover band whose bass player is stepping out. They've asked me to join them on stage for 1 song (the lead guitarists worded it "nothing like a live tryout").

I have never gigged, and I'm expecting immediate stage fright :bag: I chose Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" because it's pretty straight-forward, with a distinctive bass line. I wanted to play something I won't need to think too much about, since there's no chance I'll be comfortable.

Anyways, does your drummer usually count you in?

The song starts with approach notes, that I believe fall on "4 and".

I just want to nail it since this will be the band's first impression of me.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The pickup notes fall on the + of 3 and four. So it would be 1 - 2 - 3 (come in)

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    The bass pickup is on "+ 4". I would count off the song "1 ... 2 ... 1 2 3" and then the bass plays "+4".

(edit: El Gecko responded while I was typing.

4. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Edgewater, Maryland
    The last two post should do it for you. Remember to have fun. Break a leg!

5. Dude, you are going to have so much fun and a memorable event.
    Don't think about or stress the exact lead in.
    You'll get right.

6. +1

BrownEyedGirlIntro.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You could just come in on 1 just as well, on the G, and the world won't end. No worries. Have a good time, pal.

8. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Haha, Russel, true story.

Appreciate the help, I just wanted to get a feel for what generally goes down in your band. Whether or not the drummer always counts you in, or if you have to take the lead at times.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This.

When we play it, I count us in as I (bass player) start the song. Actually, I don't count, I just start playing. Most people know when and where to come in.

10. Exactly the way we do it, I check the guitarist is ready, play the pick up line which basicly cues him in, and the others know when to come in.

11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Most bands I play this with let the guitar solo the intro figure for the start, then bass and drums kick in, and by then you know where to be. You might suggest that.

12. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Bass lead in..then kaboom and go with it..Its funny...I play on occasion with solo players(guitar/vocalist) that do this tune...nearly every time they skip right over the small bass solo. Go figure! Ha! Peace...

13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Hilarious, and so typical! :D

When I played "Brown Eyed Girl" with a band years ago, I found that short bass solo just right for the cheesy old "play it with your hand over the top of the neck" show biz trick. :cool:

To the OP: The musical notation in an earlier post has it right. When we played it, though, the guitar player just started to play and the rest of the band came in. You'll find that there is often plenty of leeway with tunes like this, at bar gigs. Also, when it comes time to play the tune, you can simply ask, "Okay, how do you you guys start it?" and they'll be happy to quickly tell you. They will probably even be impressed by the fact that you care!
    So just have fun and don't worry. And remember to get right into the groove and stay there-- that's the main thing to focus on.
    Good luck and have a great time!

14. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    I agree with Doug. Ask them how they normally start it. I've switched from guitar to bass in my band. Until seeing this thread, I had totally forgotten about those pick up notes. We have been counting off and all coming in on the 1 with the signature guitar part. Either way will work, but I think I will try adding the pick up notes.

Also, I think you will do well. Good choice of songs with a fun bass line you can lock in on. Keep it simple. I'm sure they just want it tight. You don't likely need to do anything crazy to show out. Just stay locked in with drummer. Prior to the gig, play the song at home a million times so at the gig you can just lay back and have fun with it. Even if you are nervous once onstage, try not to show it. Act like you belong up there. You got this! Maybe also know a 2nd song in case they want you to do another one.

15. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Appreciate all the feedback. Ended up playing Born On the Bayou and Pumped up Kicks, so the prep was for nothing :cool: got the gig, either way!

16. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    That's great. Congratulations!