Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Counting the beat

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Budokan, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Budokan

Budokan

Jan 18, 2004
    Hi Guys,

I have played six-string guitar for about five years and have recently started to play 4-string bass. I was wondering how the majority of you guys learn new songs and play stuff when in a band. More specifically do you count every crochet, quaver, semi-quaver etc from the sheet music along witha metronome or do you 'feel' your way through the chord changes of the song by locking into the drums? The reason that I ask is that I have a lot of bass scores and ven the simpler songs (Wild World Cat Stevens/Don't Look Back in Anger Oasis) seem awfully complicated when counting form he score. I hope this post makes sense. This also leads me to the question of whether to buy a drum machine to play along with or stick to playing along with the relevent CDs.
    All thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Get yourself a metronome buddy! When I learn songs, I play them slow with a metronome then up to speed with a metronome. After a few tries I don't need a metronome or I can get by just listening to the drums. I would recommend a metronome over a drum machine because a drum machine creates groove for you, which impairs your groove-developing abilities.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FME, a drum machime improves one's "groove-ablity".