Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

COUNTRY BASS HELP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WordIsBorn79, Feb 8, 2006.

1. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Playing in a country band right now. Gear is a Stingray 5 and a 350 w 4x10 Hartke cab & head. Looking for tips on playing country bass and eq'ing my sound. FYI: I know nothing about country music/bass (hey c'mon, a gig's a gig, eh?).

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I find that less is usually more with country music and in a broader scheme, music in general.

Walking lines go down well, I-IV and I-V patterns also get the job done well. You can even try laying down a vibe like in Garth Brook's "Two Pina Collada's"

As for the tone, most country I've heard and played has always had a big fat bass tone to it, with less emphasis on the highs, hi-mids, and to some extent, low-mids.

3. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    You should probably listen to some country to get a feel for it. I do have a good book somewhere that breaks down some basic country lines. I will see if I can find it.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Don't feel like you need to apologize for playing country music.

Some of the best musicians you could ever hope to work with play country.

To do it and do it properly is one heck of a lot more difficult than it appears on the surface.

5. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    here's my advice...

1) Get plastered before the shows. Country is boring unless you are totally drunk.. and even then, its only good in small doses.

2) Listen to David Allan Coe (The Underground Recordings). Some of the finest lyrics and music ever put on wax.

3) Buy you a belt buckle.

6. Stay in the pocket and play the least amount of notes with the most meaning possible! I play country, didn't think I'd like it so much, but I love it. I've played with some of het most amazing musicians I've ever met!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good advice. The major pentatonic scale is your friend too, but don't use it too much.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All of the above, and remember to put that big, fat glissando down to the last note, which should be on the B string somewhere near the nut.

9. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    One of my last columns in BP dealt with playing country, don't remember which issue.... but it explains about the typical "lead-in" lines that take you to the various chords in country 1, 4, 5, 2, & 6. Oh yeah, the modern stuff might go to other chords, but traditional country rarely goes anywhere else (well MAYBE b7). Anyway, look for that one.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My nomination for "redneckest" post of 2006.

11. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    The requirements for a country bassist are:

1. Strong backup vocals
    2. No more than three fingers
    3. Driver's license for the tour bus

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Naw sugar...

That'd be...

"Git you a belt buckle!"

Cherie ;-)

13. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    September 2005 page 82. My instructor actually went over this with me in one of my lessons. It's a great lesson to start on. If you have a fax machine I will fax you the page. By the way Ed great lesson too.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Do you have a scan of this?

15. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I have it scanned in PDF format. If you want it I can email it to you.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    "Alright Guys Rawhide in G, 1,2, 1,2,3,4"

That phrase will get you out of any bad situation at a country gig. :D

17. edfriedland

edfriedland Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Great! I'm glad somebody found it. Pass it around. Country bass is simple, but deceptively challenging. It has to be perfect. I always bust my jazz students by making them play country. I figure, if you can't play a perfect country bass line, you're missing the whole point of being a bass player. That doesn't mean you have to LIKE it (I do) but you should be able to do it.

Yee-frikkin'-ha!

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    1) Git-r-dun

19. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    And then try not to gouge up the back of your bass with it! My Precision has a mirror image map of West Virginia on the back. But the back still has more paint left than the front does!

And try to be a little less drunk than the bandleader is, if you want to keep the gig. ;)

And don't say anything negative about the President on the mike. The Dixie Chicks still haven't recovered.

Almost forgot: play some Skynyrd!!!!!!!

20. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

HAHAAHHAA!! and a Hat too... :bassist: