Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Country Bass Sound.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassplayer5115, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Allright I'm Looking for that Country Bass Sound.

Warm, and not to driving and deep. Anyone got any suggestions?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    which country?

Quote some tracks.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Fender Precision

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    +1 on the Precision. Or any of its copies, like a Lakland Glaub, which I love and use to play country, among other things.

5. James

Like some Tim Mcgraw...Basically commercial country.

Got an amazing female singer leading the band.

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You can jump on the P wagon like everyone else. Or you can try the Nathan East sig model yamaha. It has the best country tone i've ever heard.

7. [​IMG]

What about this olde guy? Dont know a hell of a lot about it. I mean i have heard good things for the price

Nathan East Signature model eh? How much would a 5 string run me!

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    SR5 or Bongo.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Some great lines and tones coming out if you listen long enough....

I know a couple player are using Sadowsky stuff in Nashville, an active Fender Jazz will get you in a similar vibe.

10. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I don't have any experience with playing country, but I always thought either the G&L L2000 or L2500 would sounds great for country. Either that or a SR5, or Sterling.

11. Sounds like you are after the progressive country tones.

I play for a few Country bands. Two of them are traditional and I always use my P-Bass.

In the more modern/progressive band I am using a SR5 just becuase there is alot more 5-string stuff.

On the new country you can play about whatever bass you want. There isn't much of a trace of vintage tones in 75% of it anyway. I definantly recommend anything by Leo.

1. P-Bass
    2. Jazz
    3. G&L
    4. Stingray

Find a solid tone, don't overplay, stay out of the way of the vocals, and stay married to the kick drum (most of the time).

12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Hey Bassplayer, I'm in MA also, and I am also backing up a phenomal female lead singer in a New Country band! I see you mention Keene State in your profile, I've gigged up that way! I'd love to check you guys out!

I'm using an active Fender derivative, either a Hartke XL4 or a Godin Freeway5 I've modded with a Duncan pre, through a SansAmp BDDI straight into our PA. We're using a Mackie setup with the 18" powered sub: BOOM! I use the P pickup almost exclusively, depending on the song, with the bass boosted and the treble rolled off a bit on the bass. The SABDDI is set to one o'clock on the blend, treble, drive and presence knobs and two o'clock on the bass. This gives me a ballsy sound that cuts pretty well. I have my mids boosted on the mixing board at around 250kHz for a little more cut.

Hope this helps...

13. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    IF you want standard country stuff. Go with Fender or Gibson. But really, ANY bass and amp will get you country tones. Look at David Allen Coe plaed a show with a Dimebag Signature. And Trick Ponies bassist uses a Stingray. It is more the player than the gear.

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Can't beat any of the classic basses for country. I've had excellent luck with P5's, J5's, and a SR5. However, none of my "modern" basses have fit very well. Including a Sadowsky 24-Fret, MTD 535, Modulus M-92, Pedulla ET-5, or Ken Smith BSR5GN. Then again, Garth's bass player played a Streamer Stage II for a while...

Right now I'm playing a Frankenbasss P/MM5, that beats 'em all for country, although the J5 comes a close second.

I'd pretty much recommend a five-string, as they've become almost predominant within the genre.

dcr

15. I second the G&L. You can get a big range of tone out of an L-2500. It will cover all the bases......(no pun intended). They are extremely well made beautiful instruments. Used they can be had quite cheap.

16. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
    Stand-up.

17. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    Doesnt G&L have a big mid range tone also? If so, Mid range tones are always nice in country. Specially with a twang guitarist.

18. G&L does really cut through the mix also. Some settings can be noisy though.

A Sadowsky P/J 5-string is my ideal bass. Too bad I am not rich.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A lot of the pros use Lakland 55-94s and Stingray 5s. I played in a country band for ten years, and the 55-94 worked best. A 55-01 or -02 would work just fine.

20. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +1 for the 55-94. I've played country for years now (trad to modern) and I can't think of anything it couldn't handle. You can even sneak a pretty cool upright vibe out of it (depending on your palm muting abilities, of course).