Country Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joey_g_funk, May 7, 2002.

1. I play in a country band and I'm considering buying a new bass in the $700-$1100 range. I don't want a Precision, because I like versatility. I play some old country, but mostly newer country. Any opinions, past experiences?

I've been looking at the Lakland Skylines and the Ibanez BTB's. Never actually played them, though.

I did read the thread on Stingray's and Country.

I'm not limiting myself to country. My favorite styles tp play are Funk/R&B, but I'm in a country band right now. So, I'd like to buy a bass that I could use in other bands in the future.

Is there a general bass design or pickup style that lends itself to country?

2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    To me, there really isn't any bass that is made specifically for Country. Heck, my Dad played Country with a Ric 4001 for over 20 years.

Laklands are great and I've heard many good things about BTB's. If you like playing R@B and Funk, you might want to look into a Fender Jazz. My best advice is go to a music store and just start trying out basses. (and 1100 dollars could get you a nice Carvin)
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Most of the NashVegas guys are using Lakland, Sadowsky or Tyler 5's as the workhorse basses. A Skyline 55-02 would be a good choice at a reasonable price.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I might throw out the G&L L2000 as a consideration. You can get a quite a few good sounds out of one of those.

Maybe even the five string version, L2500, if you are feeling froggy.

Easily in your price point.

5. Thanks, guys.

The Lakland 55-02 would be great to have.

I did think about the G&L 2500, as well. Never heard it, though. Does it get all the Fender and Stingray tones? Any other tones that it's capable of producing? I think I would like the "traditional-ness" of the G&L.

Any opinions of the new Carvin 35" scale basses?

Yeah, I was trying to find what the Nashville guys are using today, but didn't have much luck. Thanks again.

6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    the g&l would be a good bet or if you're playin Trick Pony & Kenny Chesney i think Ira [trick pony] & the dude on tour/in the young video play StingRays. I'd say the G&L, Jazz, P Deluxe [w/the hummer @ the bridge], or a StingRay. Thats all
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    When I was playing full time in a country/rock band, I was using a Peavey Cirrus 5. It worked out very well. And it falls into the upper end of your price range, if you can find a good deal on one.
  8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    here in nashvegas everyone is using sads laks and old ass jazzes. like the other guy sed. but feildy plays in a band called korn... korn grows in field(y)s...fields are in country... so use an ibanez k5................................or not. lots of guys are starting to use stingrays and the like as well. all of these are used because someone said hey i'll be different.
  9. shortykyx

Feb 27, 2002
    i would suggest a musicman stingray 4-string if u are interested in funk. I myself have one and it gives out great sounds for funk, in your price range too ($1170)
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think a 55-02 or a Cirrus 5 would be perfect for country, and versatile enough for anything else, too.
  11. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well if you are considering G&l, You might think about the ASAT bass. Same electronics with a tele shaped body.
  12. The G&Ls sound great for country or most anything else for that matter but beware if your going to wear it for 4 hours mine weighs in at a hefty 10 1/2 pounds
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let me second the g&l vote - i've always felt that they were seriously good instruments, very versatile in the electronics dept.
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a Lakland 55-01 in my country band, along with a Fender MIM Jazz, and a Tobias Toby Pro. I would recommend the Lakland, an awesome bass for any style of music.