1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Country Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I always take my upright to outdoor ampless musical gatherings. I always get too excited, though, and wind up raising blood blisters on my plucking fingers in the first half hour. Would be much worse now having barely played even electric for lo, these past 4 months.

the harp unstrung likes this.
  2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Had a brief break from playing when 60% of the band got Covid at a gig I didn't play.

Everyone is recovered but the steel player is out till 2021 to catch up on work. Also it resulted in a weird studio schedule change where bass and steel were recorded before drums.

Started gigging again this weekend at a Legion Hall almost 2 hours from Chicago. Indoors without too many people and plenty of space between band and audience but not one flipping person in the bar besides me had a mask!

I of course had my mask and I drank my beer between sets sitting on my amp.

3. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I won't gig until I get a vaccine. Too many variables (i.e. knuckleheads) and not enough control over them.

@Eilif good luck and stay safe out there.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I just joined up with a band that does a lot of modern country (Jason Aldean, Montgomery Gentry, etc). I'm looking to liven up my stage clothes. Anyone have a source for decent but inexpensive shirts? Thanks.

5. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    I haven't a source for you; however, by extraordinary coincidence, this was posted in Ripley's this morning and I try not to miss opportunities to post tangential trivia:

upload_2020-10-9_5-25-3.png

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I'd probably see what's on sale at Cavender's, I guess they ship to New England. You can get shirts so loud you won't need an amp.

7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Along the same lines, what are you wearing on stage? I don't want to get hokey, but I want to look good.

8. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    All my western wear comes from thrift stores. As does nearly all my clothes other than underwear. My tastes lean more expensive but I'm cheap. Suburban Goodwill stores tick both boxes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  9. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I don't know if it will work for you but I've embraced the rockabilly/rock/western aesthetic. Boots, jeans, western shirt (untucked), aviators and a modest mohawk. Always some wrist jewlery and often a large ring.

Much more subdued petmutations of that are possible of course. Whatever you decide, I would recommend avoiding athletic shoes, turtlenecks, Bluetooth earpieces, sandals and shorts.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I always try to dress up, no matter the genre, and was looking both at YouTube videos and the CMT commercials. Seems like other than the front person, there isn't much "western" going on.

Modern country reminds me of modern NASCAR. Both are taking something that used to be a regional product, and market it to a national audience. So they are straddling the line between tradition and generic.

11. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    The main thing is, as always, to get folks up and dancing!:

upload_2020-10-11_7-23-5.png

BassCliff and lark_z like this.
  12. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Well said! "I always dress up".
    No matter the gig I want to give the audience something to look at that is different from their everyday. In my country gig I'm bringing the rockabilly, in pop rock bands it was tight jeans and hipster vintage t-shirts. I just try to avoid "bland" and "everyday" when putting together a stage ensemble. I think it bears well to remember you're not just a musician, you're an entertainer.

As for Modern Country, Nascar and CMT, I don't watch, listen or engage with any of those so I'm probably way off for whatever the current look is.

13. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Dress to level you want to get paid. The band is supposed to be bigger than life.

14. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    So this issue surfaced again.
    Bandleader booked 5 more dates there including his CD release gig.

I did some thinking and came up with a compromise. I told bandleader I'd attend the gigs if I could wear a Black Lives Matter shirt. He agreed.

Could be interesting. If nothing else it might lead to a conversation or two...

Now I've got to design and paint a good DIY BLM shirt. Maybe a decal for my bass too?

shadven likes this.
  15. Frank Vozak

Frank Vozak Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Oak Park, IL
    No commercial affiliation
    Great idea Karl

shadven likes this.
  16. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Away from politics and hot issues, back to country music. Love this tune.

Mark

17. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Hey guys lets not further defend, attack or define BLM or our perspectives about it. Mtn.bass72 and I got perilously close to the TB-allowable line while keeping it vague and I respect that but we probably shouldn't go further on a public topic.

Our specific personal understandings of the movement are probably best discussed/exchanged/challenged via PM and I'm always happy to divulge more there.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  18. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Whew. Thank you.

19. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Hello All,

I have removed a few posts carefully. Let's just go back to the topic and there won't be any infractions. I realize this topic could be very a hot point, but this isn't the place for such discussion.

Regarding the topic at hand, I'd always suggest dressing like a pro regardless of what kind of music you play, people notice and you get paid better.

68Tele-Bass, mwbonsall and oldandbold like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021