1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Country Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Boot Barn- they have clearance stuff you can get online- I like Cinch shirts, but straight up they can be pricey! Cody James, Brad Paisley etc etc- Try to get the ones with contrasting inside cuffs- looks cool!
    Cody James Men's Roy Grandstand Paisley Print Long Sleeve Western Shirt - Big | Boot Barn

mwbonsall and buldog5151bass like this.
  2. Frank Vozak

Frank Vozak Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Oak Park, IL
    No commercial affiliation
    Valid point, thank you

3. Frank Vozak

Mar 27, 2020
    Oak Park, IL
    Thank you for keeping us talking about bass not politics. We always do best when we listen and reach for where can agree and where we have a common bond.

oldandbold and mwbonsall like this.
  4. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    I’ve just recently started playing in a modern country/ southern rock band. As a lifelong rock/metal player and someone who has never really listened to country music (other than hearing the popular older stuff) it’s been a really fun experience. We do mix it up a bit. Most of our stuff is originals but we do about 25-30% cover tunes also.

My favorite covers we play are “My Kind of Party“ by Jason Aldean (very active and fun bass line); “Bar, Guitar, and a Honkytonk Crowd” by Whiskey Myers; “Whitehouse Road by Tyler Childers”; and “G.R.I.T.S” by Brantley Gilbert.

We also do some Skynyrd (Freebird); “Cumbersome” by Seven Mary Three; and “Blue On Black” by Kenny Wayne Sheppard. Fortunately, our lead guitar player is fantastic and absolutely crushes the Freebird solos and even plays half of it behind his head. :roflmao: It’s our closer. Everyone screams “play some Skynyrd” and we make them stick around to the end to get it. :cool:

I’m a total country noob, but I’m having a good time of it so far. It’s great to be gigging again.

5. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Tonight's gig just got shut down. Its wierdly warm enough that it could have been outdoors like the last time we played there but I assume the rain forecast made the owner skittish.
    Welcome to the club!

My advice is to not play freebird unless the crowd can pony up 50 bucks for the tip jar but YMMV.
    Enjoy the ride!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    beatdatthang and oldandbold like this.
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "beatdatthang" ! You are Official Country Bassist Club member number 149 :) .

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  7. Frank Vozak

Mar 27, 2020
    Oak Park, IL
    Road Ranger.
    One of the great things about BT is that it opens up new horizons to its
    participants. Thanks to BT I met Eilif and we have become friends. I
    recruited him for my model railroad club and recruited him to play pedal
    steel for the new band I am in. It turns out that our guitarist/vocalist/songwriter
    Paul writes songs that are best with an outlaw country beat, so we are becoming a n
    out law country band playing all originals. Ever since I was stationed near Nashville
    in the US Army in the 70's I really became an outlaw country fan, our post
    was a regular Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings outpost. I have expanded my country
    interests through the years to Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl fan (especially after
    meeting and spending time talking with him) and of course John Prine , the pride of
    suburban Chicago. I would like to get a Country Bass number

RoadRanger, Eli_Kyiv and MTN.bass72 like this.
  8. Yeeee-Haaaaw!!! I need a number as well- I play in a “Rez” band here on Navajo Nation- some Waylon Jennings, George Straight, Zac Brown. “Wagon Wheel” and “Country Roads” (I even sing the second verse on that:eek:!”) also on offer, and some Mudcrutch as well. So I guess I need a number as well!
    “If you can’t Play the part, at least look the part!” Here I go at our clinic Staff Appreciation gig in late 2018- haven’t been gigging recently, but hope to get back on the Trail soon! F18E83C0-4FFD-4E69-B9F3-E984A8821B9E.jpeg

9. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "Frank Vozak" ! You are Official Country Bassist Club member number 150 :) .

10. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "68Tele-Bass" ! You are Official Country Bassist Club member number 151 :) .

68Tele-Bass likes this.
  11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Watch the sales at Shepler's.
    Sheplers | Western Wear & Cowboy Boots - FREE SHIPPING!
    I usually just wear a comfortable black shirt, because I always play in a jacket with the Willie Nelson tribute. I just got a nice Wahmaker frock coat for this purpose... Got my hat from there too...

mwbonsall and the harp unstrung like this.
  12. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I hit the Goodwill just today!

Couldn’t find a pair of jeans that fit, but I found a Flock of CDs, and a pair of books.

Masked up...
    Hand sanitizer in...
    Hand sanitizer out...

I bought some incredible music!
    I’m excited...hadn’t been there since February.

13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Yet another TB Club I didn't know existed...
    A year ago, all I knew about country bands was whatever BassCliff posted...
    Then I joined a Willie Nelson tribute (see sig...) and it's been quite an interesting ride.
    I have an audition with a "modern country" band next week, so maybe there will be two...

14. Like the Rum....I think I can remember that!

15. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Bacardi-151.jpg

RoadRanger and 68Tele-Bass like this.
  16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Not to be confused with a Warhammer frock coat. Don't want to look like an Imperial Inquisitor!

17. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    I wasn't sure what a "Warhammer frock" was, but this came up in my image search:

upload_2020-10-29_3-34-3.png

18. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Glad you found some good stuff even if no western wear.

It comes in waves. I'd say on average I find a western shirt that fits and looks well enough to buy every 4th time I look. Often feels like feast and famine though.

Found two last weekend visiting just 2 Goodwills!

19. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    And remember Skully’s shirts run a size big.

Mark

20. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Welcome "ArtechnikA" ! You are Official Country Bassist Club member number 152 :) .

ArtechnikA likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021