1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Country Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Jan 18, 2013.

1. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    upload_2020-11-2_7-15-57.png

BassCliff likes this.
  2. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    E834B505-A4E7-42A3-85EC-11715A6D9968.jpeg

3. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009

BassCliff and the harp unstrung like this.
  4. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Hey Guys,
    I meant to do this earlier, but I thought about the folks looking for westernwear and with Covid going on and $ being tight I thought I'd trim my collection of western shirts and put a few of up for sale:
    For Sale - Western Shirts | TalkBass.com
    $7 or $10 each.

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  5. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    Frankie Yankovic, How Many Burps In a Bottle Of Beer:

BassCliff likes this.
  6. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Weird Frankie Yankovic.

7. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Changes in the country band situation. Two pieces of bad news.

First, the steelplayer has officially quit. I don't know the details but I'll be reaching out to him. He was already on hiatus til the spring. Major bummer. Playing with Pedal Steel was definitely one of the big appeals of this group.

The second piece of news is that Bandleader has decided to try and build goodwill with venues by offering the band's services for free until Covid is over. Even going so far as far as to specifically give up free drinks for the band. I said I'll do the CD release party for free but no thanks to gigging for a cut of the tip jar. I didn't phrase it that way, but to my mind giving up a weekend evening with an hour of driving each way plus a 3 hour gig for a few bucks just isn't worth it. I've offered the Bandleader to play for half price up to once a month during Covid. We'll see if he has any gigs where he thinks that's worth it.

In a minor piece of good news...
    The gig at the Racist/Conspiratorialist venue that I mentioned earlier was going to be our CD Release party but no longer. With Covid restrictions bandleader doesn't think enough folks will show so he's bringing in one of the bassists he knows for who will play for tips. That's one gig I will definitely not miss.

I guess what remains to be seen is if I'll be replaced permenantly. I told bandleader I'd understand if a covid replacment became permanent. I'm not even sure how much I want the gig without steel. I think I still want do for pay and to keep my chops up, but without steel, I don't think I'd mourn being replaced.

In an interesting final twist, bandleader offered me the Steel chair, but I can't even get through most tunes on PSG without stopping and checking my minor chords so that's out of the question from my perspective.

Sad to be without a gigging situation for a while but it's nothing worse than most musicians are dealing with through Covid. Plus I still have a bi-weekly rehearsal/jam playing Pedal Steel with a local guitarrist singer. Hopefully by the end of Covid we'll have a tight enough set to play the local coffee bars where he has an open invitation.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Speaking of which, one of the tag lines I've been using on stage... I like to inform the audience that "We are an instant country band, just add beer!" :D

Since the middle of March gigs have been pretty slim. For years I've been playing 12-15 dates a month, sometimes more. We've been down to one or two per month since this madness started, usually outdoor events at a couple of Orange County wineries. We've been working for a reduced rate, plus all the beer we can drink... ;) ...with the understanding that once things get back to normal we'll get first call for all of the events, corporate, wedding, private parties, etc. The winery owners are good people and we're all trying to help each other get through this.

So far Arnie has booked a few dates for next year, two weekends at Gilley's in Las Vegas, one in February and April, a private event in March, and another private party in June.

Because we are working so little that will probably mean more rehearsals. That's OK. I'll just be glad to keep playing with my friends. We need to stay "jelled". Last Friday night was pretty loose. We had forgotten some of these tunes we've been doing for years. Ack!

Be cautious, be considerate, be kind, use common sense, and the world will be a better place. Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. oldandbold

oldandbold Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Honesdale PA
    Here's something I just had to share. Actually I'm trying to keep the Club from going Zombie.:hyper:

10. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice video
    Haven't had a gig in about 2 months. Most of the free gigs the BL was taking without me had been canceled in Jan, but it looks like he's back scheduled out to 2-3 gigs a month.

Has been interesting to consider in this time off what the value equation is for me regarding playing out, money, and playing for the enjoyment of playing.

I still think I won't gig for free, but if I didn't have my bi-weekly Steel jam would I feel different? Stepping down from Church praise team this month also so I'll be at my lowest musical involvement level in several years.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    MTN.bass72 likes this.
  11. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    Great observation, and one most of us have wrestled with in one way or another. This past year has taken a toll on all of us (some more than others) and made many of us consider how essential playing music really is/isn't financially, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

The extra time at home while not playing can be a downer for sure, but it could also be well-spent practicing, listening, developing new playing skills, music/video production skills, etc., not to mention additional time for family, rest/rejuvenation... whatever. It's no surprise there has been a large increase in self-produced solo stuff, teaching videos, collaborative projects where everyone contributes a part they recorded home alone, and live band shows (band present/no audience) showing up on YouTube, Facebook, and other social media simply as an outlet to keep the juices flowing, stay inspired, or just have something to enjoy. This is all great, but it doesn't fully take the place of playing live music.

None of the bands I play with ever ask anyone to play for free, and Coronamadness hasn't changed that. But if dance halls aren't open or if crowds don't show up, what's the point? A glorified practice session? We could do that at home with food, beverages, and family if we ever decided to rehearse. Thankfully, we've had a number of private gigs and outdoor gigs. The only exception to the free gig is for benefits for fellow musicians, family, etc., and even then it is voluntary. But most musicians around here gladly do that for each other without question - family taking care of family - but even benefits have been relegated to drive-thru barbecue or CFS plates with no music. It really makes you wonder how it's all going to play out and to what extent live music will bounce back.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021