Country Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TravellinMan, Feb 14, 2003.

1. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    You've said all the other styles of music now country music!
    Teddy Gentry; Alabama
    Duke Goff; Waylon Jennings Band
    Jerry Bridges; Waylon's last touring band!
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Michael Rhodes is a absolute badass...Willie Weeks..
    ...David Hungate.....Nashville has a lot of scary talent:bassist:
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Dave Pomeroy... Happens to post here from time to time :)

4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I posted about the cat from Rascal Flatts a few weeks ago here. That dude can totally smoke live. When he's not doing something fancy he's always tasty. (plus he gets a great tone with those Stingrays) I'm not big on the newer Country that's out but I dug the show I caught them on.

Keith Christopher did a total kick ass job on Shaver's "Live at Smith's Olde Bar". God that band had great dynamics. It's sad that Eddy Shaver died.

Tracy L. Dalton had a totally killer bass player. (Don't know who he was)

Let's also not forget Keith Horne.
  5. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I'll have to check out Rascal Flatts, shows on the radio, he just play's simple stuff, I quess I'll have to check out one of their shows!
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, the radio stuff doesn't really showcase what he can do. He's actually a very accomplished player. In the concert, there was a break down where he soloed, grooved, and even slapped.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Mike Chapman. Not only is he a great player, but he called me "a monster player" @ the NAMM show! :p Seriously, he is a really good player. He played on Garth Brooks' albums, as well as being one of the first call bassists in Nashville.
  8. Emory Gordy Jr was tops for me, sadly he does'nt seem to play any more, but concentrates on producing.
  9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Garry Tallent (long time bassist for the E Street Band) has played in lots of country/americana albums since he moved to Nashville in the early 90s. He also has done a lot of production.

keep groooovin'
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Michael Rhodes-he can play everything.
    Groove, slap,fretless, with taste.
    I Dig David Hungate too.
  11. Although it belongs in DB, they're mostly jazzers over there, so I'm gonna add the late Roy Husky Jr to my list. I dont think he ever played BG, but he's definitely one of the cats!
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  13. TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    He play's on all of Patty Loveless's Cd's (His Wife), and I heard somewhere before that he played in Elvis's band too!
  14. He did play for Elvis, either before or after Jerry Scheff, I cant remember which. Emory was (is?) the master of playing a simple groove and then throwing in a fill which makes you think "what was THAT?"
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved Emory's playing on all the old Rosanne Cash albums!
  16. Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Not necessarily country..not necessarily rock. Doug Habenna with Goose Creek Symphony does it just right!
  17. Alright, being a Country Player myself there are some guys that must be on this list.

#1-Bob Moore (Elvis, Patsy Cline, too many others to list)

Dave Pomeroy- Don Williams, Keith Whitley,Session Ace

Glen Worf- Another First Call Session Cat

Leland Sklar- The man himself

Roy Huskey Jr.- #1 Upright Man

Andy Williams- Buck Owens original bassist

Don't forget Leon (Skynard)- Not exactly country but had a huge impact on most modern country bass players.

I am currently really digging Pat Green's bass player. Not sure of the name but he is a NTU Jazz cat, and a powerful/melodic player that always seems to have the perfect part for the song.

I could go on and on...
  18. A guy whose tone impresses me is Mike Brignadello.
  19. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Call me crazy-
    It appears most of those mentioned are from a non-Country background...
    The New Country bands we typically open for are full of guys with backgrounds in Rock, R&B, Funk, etc.
    (& we're no different!).

I wonder if the guys who exclusively play "Country" bass get pissed 'cause they don't seem to be getting the gigs...either in the studio or in the road bands.
    Like I said, call me "Crazy"...
  20. Rosco Beck, Dixie Chicks