Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Country Music and Fender

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by adam on bass, Nov 10, 2004.

1. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I was watching the CMA's and I couldn't believe that not one Bass Player played Fender. What is Fender doing wrong when Country music used to be their bread and butter. I did notice a lot of Modulus', Warwick and MusicMan's. Just a wierd thing I thought when Fender used to dominant in this genre.

2. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Lakland's also. The last act used an old Fender. Not to mention, the singer was a freakin' hotty!

3. Yeah, Laklands are huge in country.

Country has alot of hotties in it nowadays. It's just not Loretta Lynn anymore..

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's only natural, since there are more and more alternatives to Fender instruments, and since Country (and Western) got more diverse with influences from modern pop and rock etc. It's not all Grand Ol' Opry anymore, and so are the instruments.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    It seems that most country guys are playing 5 or more strings.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's all Dave Pomeroy's fault.

Roscoe Beck (Dixie Chicks, among others) still plays Fender.

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I am sure if Fender spent a little time and developed a 5 string that was worth a damn they would re-establish the prodominancy they had for years.

8. Well, guitar is still fender dominant in country, and most genres I guess. My buddy is a guitarist in a country band, he wants a tele obviously, I told him to check out a G&L Asat, told him even Leo Fender says they are better, he said no, I want a real fender :rolleyes:

But As for bass, I see lots of stingray 5's.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the tele continues to reign supreme for guitar, but I have indeed noticed plenty of 'Rays and Modulii being used by the name acts I've opened for, working with a country band over the past year. I haven't noticed any Laklands, but I'm guessing that's just coincidence. Opened for a name Nashville act a couple of weeks ago. At soundcheck I noticed the bassist's 'Ray had action so low I think a string rattled by me simply looking at it. :D

10. I have noticed that even in guitars Fender is starting to loose ground. I thought I saw an ESP or 2 there, and there was definetly a good amount of Les Paul.

Rock on
    Eric

11. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I saw a lot of Tom Anderson Guitars. The Tele style is still king.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It seems that the SR5 became the standard, and still is very popular, in modern country. I did not see the CMAs, but I always look at what bass players are playing in my favorite groups and, more often than not, it's a Ray 5.

13. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I've never seen it close-up but I think Tim McGraw's band, Dance Hall Doctor's the bassist is using a Fender V. His wife, Faith Hill, her bassist is using a Fender V in some vidoes.

Also Alan Jackson's bassist, Fender Jazz.

They're no more, but Alabama's too. Just a few I've noticed sticking w/ Fender.

True though on the growing numbers of SR5's, Laklands, Even a couple Spectors.

14. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I played Country & Western in Texas in 1979 & 1980 on a
    Fretless 78 P-Bass. :smug: Record producers & engineers
    would not let you record if you did not have a P-Bass back
    then.This old school way of thinking was typical of the industry back then.Things have gotten better.I saw a Garth
    Brooks video some years ago and his sister betsy was playing a Carvin.And during a interview with Clint Black I saw on CMT
    he was sitting with a Alembic in his hands in his home studio.

15. TVD

TVD

Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, but almost none of them are country. Period. Bad rock-n-roll/pop/hip hop whatever you want to call it. A pretty belly button isn't talent. It's a bunch of garbage IMO. I hate what "country" music has become, and i love COUNTRY music. Not what's passing for it today. I think what really bothers me is what's called "country" when it's blatently not. Yes i'm a purist, no i won't apologize for it. I am going to play REAL country music the rest of my career, the market isn't huge for it, but there is a market for it, and it beats playing garbage and being a sellout. Gee, good thing i'm not opinionated huh? As far as basses, i play a Fender '51 reissue alot. My main gigging bass is a G&L L-2500, but i have an ASAT on custom order that will probably become my main gigging bass. You'll see all kinds of basses playing what passes for "country" now, but to me it's a moot point cuz they're not even actually playing anything resembeling country. Trent

16. Take it easy, the South will rise again, a country boy will survive...

This is the flip side to "what is/is not 'punk.'"

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There was a Sadowsky, too.