Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Country Music Bass Tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by soundgodwannabe, Sep 25, 2005.

1. soundgodwannabe

soundgodwannabe

Sep 25, 2005
    I have looked all over on different sites, but I cannot find any bass tabs for country music. When I do find some, they are few and far inbetween. I am a new bass player looking to learn country style bass. Anyone got a clue or know where to look?

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'm not sure tabs are a great way to learn country. Get chord charts, listen to the records (start simple -- Ray Price, Buck Owens...), and figure out what they're doing by ear. It's easier than you think -- a lot more about tone and feel and time than it is about notes and technique. Sit in with the Bluegrass guys who jam every Saturday morning somewhere near where you live. I've never been anyplace where they weren't somewhere, and there's almost always room for a bass player. (If there is a bass player, watch what he does and talk him up.) But if you can do root-fifth over the major chords in the popular keys, then learn to connect them with passing tones, you'll be 80% there. (Eventually, you have to learn to walk, too, but that can wait a while.)

Did that make sense?

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with Kelly Coyle. Get chord charts to help work out the progression, but listening is more important. You will find very few tabs. And the singer will invariably change the key.

Good luck. When in doubt, just play roots.

4. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    Could you tell us where to get chord charts? I like the idea of country bass playing.

5. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  6. Eoghan

Eoghan

Dec 5, 2004
    Australia.
    Thank you!

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    They only have chord charts. But pretty good place.

RoughStock.

8. www.country.totaltabs.com

You have to register, but it is free.

However, a free membership only gets you 50 (maybe not the exact number, but it is a limited amount) tabs a month.

A paid membership gets you unlimited tabs a month and other benefits.

Good site, good layout, LOTS of chords -- 17002 songs from 1544 bands -- there are quite a few pop-ups as well.

9. angeldawn

angeldawn

Nov 2, 2005
    the link there doesnt want to produce a page.

would you post it again please.
    thank you
    dawn

10. I hate to say this again, but I'm starting to do the country thing and...

well if you get a tab to learn "Ode to Billy Joe" by Allison Craus, that's cool, you can play it...

...but when mid way through te practice the singer says "Hey can we play that in C" or in a different key from what you're in...
    ...what do you do? "Do you have that in tab"

11. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Or *WORSE* the lead singer finds a horrible tab on the net and decides to follow that. Now the song is not only in the wrong key, but the chord sequence is wrong :scowl:

Remember, in Country music the singer is *always* right. You are there to make the singer sound good. So just relax and hang on.

12. Country tabs? Here ya go, this is all you need for country music:smug:

--------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    --3-----3-----3-----3----0--2--3-----3------3-----3----0--2-
    -----3-----3-----3-----3----------3------3-----3------3------

13. Yeah, and then when you get that down, you can add this (tapped with your right hand):

---17-17-17-17-17-17-17---------17-17-17--17-17-17-17-------
    ---17-17-17-17-17-17-17---------17-17-17--17-17-17-17-------
    --3-----3-----3-----3----0--2--3-----3------3-----3----0--2---
    -----3-----3-----3-----3----------3------3-----3------3-------

I recommend showing up to some country jam sessions and playing that repeatedly until they kick you out. Make sure you let all of your friends know that they kicked out because you were "too good". Good luck!

14. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    jnprather: +1

15. angeldawn

angeldawn

Nov 2, 2005
  16. MusicManiac0303

MusicManiac0303

Nov 21, 2005
    :bassist: i disagree wit some of u ppl - country music is not all the same things over and over again. each song is unique, and they can't all have th esame bass line. it is practically impossible to find good country bass tabs, but there's green day and my chemical romance ones on every site u go to. there should be more of a push on the country tabs, because it's not always easy to hear th bass clearly in a song. it makes me mad when ppl say that country is stupid, or that the country bass line is just 2 or 3 notes over and over again. so, i could go on a lot longer, but that's my 2 cents, whatever it's worth :spit: :spit: :bawl: :help: :mad: :scowl:

17. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree. IMHO the reason there is a dearth of country tabs is.... country bass players generally do not use tab. One of the things I like about country music is that, like blues, I have the freedom to make up my own bass lines. Sure there are some stock lines I have to play (Folsom Prison Blues for example) but other than that, it just has to "fit".

I don't know about other country players on this list, but almost all my playing is with "pickup" bands. I get a lot of "This one's in D boys" and off we go :)

18. Interesting discussion and a good link - 'countrytotaltabs'.

I'd like to agree with everyone ;) - I sat in with my first country band on Monday and stuck to R-5 or even R-R for the first coupla numbers, until I found my way, but there is so much more you can do, taken from blues, jazz or rock. As long as it fits, you have a lot of freedom in country. I know, I've played in blues-rock covers bands and the other guys all just scream "Play the riff!" at you.