Country music from hell

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Murf, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Allrighty, just a quick question, for years I played the "banjo riff" from Stu Hamms Country music by slapping the F#, hammering on to G, slapping the muted G and then popping the open G string and it sounded fine to me however I could never get that root fifth C G thing going at the same one day I'm checking out (great site by the way) and he has the transcription to Quahogs anyone? only in the performance notes it says

"First, the left hand index finger will be laying down that main country-type of bass line which already appeared in the intro. At the same time, the left hand ring finger will need to cover the F# on the fourth fret(D string). The left hand pinky will then hammer on to the G(D string) before the left hand plucks an open G string...."

So the left hand plucks an open I mean do you use all 4 fingers or wha??

I'd be interested if anyone has cracked this as it seems like an interesting technique to add to my armory of "neat stuff"

any ideas?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I think it's just a mistake or a typo..... Think about it...when he says "cover the F# (D string) with your left index finger, then hammer the G with another finger before the xxxxx hand plucks an open G..." In your description, the xxxxx is "left hand". I think he probably meant "right hand". This would be exactly how it's always been played. I've been playing that piece for years myself, and I also have the Stu Hamm instructional video (the first one, where this is demonstrated).
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing as mcchildree.

C'mon, it's an open string, What's the right hand doing?....NO, don't go there!
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Stu's doing a Wooten type use-all-of-your-digits-at-once thing on "Quahogs".

Right hand thumb slaps D string (fretted as below);
    right hand index pops open G string;
    left hand index TAPs G on E string;
    left hand ring TAPs C on A string.

Left hand middle finger frets F# on D string; left hand pinky hammers onto G on D string. does indeed have a typo. The right hand index, not the left hand index, is popping the open G. Also, the root-fifth thing has to be assigned to two fingers, not just the left hand index. (If you can play it with just one, you win a spot on the X-Files.)
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    on "country music a night in hell" once Stu starts playing the melody, a keyboard picks up the bass line.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's the case on "Radio Free Albemuth". On "The Urge," though, it's Stu alone.
  7. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    wow thanks it was a typo...phew, like I know I'm double jointed and all but that was a bit much.

8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I just went back to my instrument and realized that the C-G root fifth pattern is done by the left hand index finger alone. My bad. (However there's also a G-D root fifth pattern that needs both the index and ring fingers.)
  9. Yeah this song is a tough cookie aint it? It is a cool little tune though, especially the Quahogs Anyone? version since its him all alone.
  10. loui

Sep 10, 2000
    Yeah, I like This country tune too. I was wondering if anybody have a transcription of this song i would like very much.

Perhaps you could email me at

thank you very much !!
  11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I recorded this song on a friend's studio (with ProTools 24) at a slower tempo (126 beats per minute-Stu plays this at 143, i think.) trying to recreate the "Radio Free Albemuth" version. I recorded two bass tracks, one for the accompaniment part (C-G-C-G-A-E...) except for the intro, which i did on one track. I also put my friend to play the backbeat chords with his PRS guitar, and a drum machine on another track. IT SUCKS compared with the original, but it's a satisfaction to me, anyway. I started to figure out the song by ear (a great portion of it was done that way) until i found THE BOOK:

Loui, here you'll find what you're looking for. Read my review!

Good luck. :)

P.S.: My friend also added a small crowd screaming and clapping. It was funny: "Stu Hamm plays the intro, then the drums and the guitar enter, and then ALVARO appears playing the tune (the crowd screams) while Stuart continues with the accompaniment role." It doesn't cost anything to dream, no? :D