Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

country music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 25, 2005.

1. I love country music

34 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Country music is "okay", at least some of it is

32 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. It's okay to listen to, but I wouldn't play it

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. I can't stand country music

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. Country music is right up there with carrots

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How many of you like country music?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    When I think of county I see a bunch of fake cowboys playing the guitar, crying "yeeehaw" and a bunch of people in silly clothes doing some kind of dance, more like stepping and turning around on the mark of the bandleader...

Not my cup of tea (to say the least)

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig classic country. Cash, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, etc.

Modern stuff is more like pop with a "twang".

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I really dig a lot of modern Folk artists. Most of them make the majority of their money by selling songs to country artists to record. So some country is good. Growing up in Texas I'm nearly constantly bombarded by country music. Eventually it wears you down and you lack the energy to hate it all as vehemently as so much of it deserves.

And also, their are more gigs available to play country bass than rock bass, especially for a fat bald forty year old.

5. I like Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr., David Allen Coe, Merle Haggard and the like. I think there are some great country songwriters out there with very funny and catchy songs. The new stuff doesn't appeal to me that much though. There is alot of outstanding talent in Nashville and other places that makes up the backbone of that genre and its industry. A few of my dad's friends who gew up in Memphis playing Beale Street bit the bullet and went to Nashville. A few of them have toured with some big names.

My rock band is working up "I Think I'll Just Sit Here and Drink" by Merle Haggard. I've always like that one. I love those old rebel, drinking, hellraising tunes.

6. I'll sing the hell outta' Shania Twain's "I Feel Like A Woman" in the car.

Mens' shirts, short skirts...

mmm... Shania.

7. Cash is pretty good, Willie Nelson.......growing up in Mississippi with my dads side of the family being backwoods folk, if I didnt like Wille, i might not be here on TB today. :D

For modern stuff........I like Dwight Yokam , hes got a killer voice, ive seen him live and his bassist rocks out too.

Keith Urban plays some cool guitar stuff.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If it wasn't for the awful awful awful vocals/stories to go with the songs... ps. awful awful.

I honestly group country and emo together, genres ruined because a certain vocal style is enforced.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I get a bigger charge out of Patsy Cline, Flatt and Scruggs,
    Waylon and Johnny than out of the new stuff.

That recording of Frank Zappa singing 'Ring of Fire'
    Reggae style was pretty cool ...

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I like a lot of the pop country. Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Big & Rich, Brooks & Dunn. . . . . .even Rascall Flats. On the 24th I'm seeing Alan Jackson. The wife is REALLY excited, and that is good for me!

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    JC and Dwight are the only two that i can think of off the top of my head that i like. Dwight does put on a great show.
    i guess the weird part is that i dont like the twang-y part of country, but i like Dwight and he has a seriously twangy voice. i think he has a level of talent that is head and shoulders above the rest of the country scene.

and everyone has to love the Man in Black...i think thats a law.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh. I sampled a bunch of parts from that tune, so I can play them back with my guitar synth during sets with my psycho band. Hearing Shagnia go from chipmunk to Bootsy is a good time, or sumthin'. :cool:

I tried out recently with an alt-country band, doing Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, stuff like that. I would have been cool, but they were going to take months before they were ready to gig, and I couldn't hack that.

13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There's some "country classics", for instance, Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job And Shove It", or "All My Ex's Live in Texas", stuff like that.

What about Lynyrd Skynyrd? Would you consider some of their stuff to be "country crossover"?

14. I don't care for country music. Most of the people I know dislike country.

15. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    UP
    That's funny. Most of the people I know like country. I can take it or leave it.

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep.

17. I despised it until I did a stint with a working rock / country / blues band last summer. We played a bunch of old school hick bars, and seeing how much the country tunes meant to a lot of the people there on a personal level really brought me to enjoy the genre.

I also find that modern country is quite a bit more 'rock' than modern rock is - seems the party attitude and dirty guitar riffs of classic rock are more present in new country than new rock.

18. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Texas is where it's at.

http://www.lonestarmusic.com/index.asp I think I have posted this before, oh well here it is again. I like country that has the guitars doing the chicken picken. That stuff you hear on the radio while some of it is ok most of it is crap. But guys like Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, CDB, Albert Lee...ect....ect.. realy cook. If I could find guys that played like that around here I would love to join a country band. The stuff at Lonestar music is what I like to call Underground Country. :)

19. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    The only country I like is Cash and Stu Hamm. :D

20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ca-li-ga!