Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Country Oldies problem

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Lazylion, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I've been playing country for many years, with dozens of bar bands. I wasn't really a country fan when I started, but I've become one through playing. I've played many of the classic old tunes, but these days I'm interested in newer songs. I'm currently in a band with an excellent girl singer who is relatively new to country music, and the band leader is a former longtime bluegrass banjo player and also relatively new to the commercial country scene. These two are "discovering" a lot of these good ole nuggets which I have played a million times each. I found myself rehearsing "I Will Always Love You", "Stay Here And Drink", "Hello Darlin", and a few other overdone (but classic) tunes. Our latest CD of tunes to learn has "Dixieland Delight" by Alabama on it. I played it a million times when Alabama was happening. I am SICK of these songs!!! Yes I know bar patrons love them, they are classic, yada yada, but I have done them to death. When I bring this up to the band leader he says"but WE haven't done them". I'm not finding that a sufficient answer. Heck, even some (most?) of our fans have been listening to country longer than these two have been playing it. The band was focussed on newer songs when I joined a few years ago, but we seem to have slipped away from that, and into the "oldies trap". I don't want to waste whatever time I have left playing in an oldies review! Dare I say it, I want us to be "hipper" than that! But I also don't want to quit the band, it's a real congenial group, we play about as much as I want to, good musicians & singers. I also don't want to become the band a$$hole, not a fitting role for the bass player! But I feel strongly that it's our duty to help listeners move along and get to love newer stuff and not stagnate in the oldies. Not to mention my own sanity! :help:

Any suggestions?

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Try some alt-country! The song structures are often quite old-school. Check out Kelly Willis, Toni Price, Robert Earl Keen, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Townes Van Zandt, and Jimmy Dale Gilmore, to name a few. Oh, and Steve Earle. You can bring covers from those bands, and they should satisfy the desire to be old-school without being boring and "played to death".

Cherie :)

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    It isn't all about you. Do you think we like to go through Brown-Eyed Girl or Sweet Home Alabama for the umpteenth time? You are playing for a bar crowd and the owner is watching the ring out. You already know where I am going with this, don't you? :bassist:

Perhaps he sees this the exact same way I do. He likes them, the crowd likes them. Keepin' the party goin'.

As txbasschik says.

Mix up the ones that drive you nuts with some new stuff. I do hear your point, no really. But if you are a cover band, this is the scene you are in.

I don't mean to appear harsh but you do have a me me me approach to your post is all. Hang in there Lazylion.

My .02 worth,

DCat

4. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Believe me, I know that! :rolleyes: I've never been real pushy about this sort of thing. I've played them, and I've smiled and made it look like I liked them, because that's the professional thing to do. I would just like it to be a little more about me once in a while! Is that too much to ask?

Exactly why you should be agreeing with me! :p At least Brown Eyed Girl has a little bass solo... as for Sweet Home Alabama, why not something from the new Van Zant bros album instead?

I'm pretty sure the party will keep going no matter what! :smug:

See above, I think I've earned the right. I'm not saying all me, just a little more me. The repetition of these old classics is making me feel burnt out. I'm just trying for songs folks have heard 50 times, as opposed to 10,000 times. :D

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Ok enough out of you! You are "just the bass player" after all.

:)

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Well I guess you need to compromise. Tell them you'll do some of these classics and ask them to do some of what you want. Not perfect, but at least you get to add new material.