1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Country players--what's your favorite axe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Jun 20, 2003.

1. I sold off all of my 5 strings when I was transitioning to 6 stringers and would like to get another 5 relatively soon. The 5 would be used for playing with a touring country act so I'm curious what all of you professional country bassists are using. Thanks.

2. I'm not a country player, but I have seen a lot of Stingray 5's being used on country gigs.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think I've seen a Lakland on TV every now and then.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm doing country gigs with Lakland (55-01) and a Warmoth Jazz 4 with J/MM pickups. The Lakland is probably a safe bet, though I've seen a lot of country acts using SR5's, too.

Mike

5. I do all my country gigs with an upright!!:D

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    A washtub with a broom handle with one string attached....:D JUST KIDDING
    I played in the house band at a country music theatre for about a year and you would be surprised at the variety of basses I saw being played. I'd say the majority were Fender Precision or Jazz basses. But really these days anything goes. FWIW when I was playing that gig I used a G&L 5 string and and Ibanez SR885.

7. Sadowsky PJ5 is used by country bass ace Michael Rhodes.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a Lakland 55-01. Sometimes I also use a Carvin B5 fretless. Both with TI Flats.

9. Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string, but should I not want to drop that kind of cash it is nice that there are many options.

10. mooechili

mooechili

Jan 2, 2003
    I am using a Fender P American Deluxe 4 string. IMO it fits C/W really well..I play it the majority of the time with it set favoring the P PUs. And the maple fretboard adds quite a bit of ring and sustain. It has enough tonal variety to keep me happy for the present.
    I see more Fenders, not just Ps, being played in C/W bands, and more 4s than 5s. Though I'd sure like to add a 5 sometime.