Country players--what's your favorite axe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGeneral, Jun 20, 2003.

1. I sold off all of my 5 strings when I was transitioning to 6 stringers and would like to get another 5 relatively soon. The 5 would be used for playing with a touring country act so I'm curious what all of you professional country bassists are using. Thanks.
  2. I'm not a country player, but I have seen a lot of Stingray 5's being used on country gigs.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think I've seen a Lakland on TV every now and then.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm doing country gigs with Lakland (55-01) and a Warmoth Jazz 4 with J/MM pickups. The Lakland is probably a safe bet, though I've seen a lot of country acts using SR5's, too.

5. I do all my country gigs with an upright!!:D
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    A washtub with a broom handle with one string attached....:D JUST KIDDING
    I played in the house band at a country music theatre for about a year and you would be surprised at the variety of basses I saw being played. I'd say the majority were Fender Precision or Jazz basses. But really these days anything goes. FWIW when I was playing that gig I used a G&L 5 string and and Ibanez SR885.
  7. Sadowsky PJ5 is used by country bass ace Michael Rhodes.
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use a Lakland 55-01. Sometimes I also use a Carvin B5 fretless. Both with TI Flats.
  9. Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of a Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string, but should I not want to drop that kind of cash it is nice that there are many options.
  10. mooechili

Jan 2, 2003
    I am using a Fender P American Deluxe 4 string. IMO it fits C/W really well..I play it the majority of the time with it set favoring the P PUs. And the maple fretboard adds quite a bit of ring and sustain. It has enough tonal variety to keep me happy for the present.
    I see more Fenders, not just Ps, being played in C/W bands, and more 4s than 5s. Though I'd sure like to add a 5 sometime.