country vs. country

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jiles, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Where does the best country music come from? Does it come from the southeast or the southwest. The southeast gives us the Nashville scene with stars such as Vince Gill, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Porter Wagoner, Hank Williams, Sr., John Conlee, Joe Nichols, Brad Paisley, and Tim McGraw.
    The southwest gives us the Austin scene, with such stars as Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earle, Townes Van Zandt, and Willie Nelson.
    Any opinions?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Southwest...UK, that is.

I'm not a big enough fan of country to comment, though I do like a few bands that came out of the London scene back in the 1960's...;)
  3. There is what's know as the Bakerfield Sound.

Buck Owens
    Merle Haggard
    Dwight get the picture.

4. yes, Bakersfield gets my vote. However...

How can you ask where the "best" country comes from; what's "best"? Me, I can't stand "Nash Vegas", as it's come to be known, they've bastardized country music. Austin has some great stuff, don't forget The Derailers and Lucinda Williams.

5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree with Mark; Nashville has become a formulatic hit machine. That's good for the people making money, bad for people who want to hear something creative and original. Whenver I flip past CMT, it seems to be filled with pretty boy's singing pop songs with a southern draw. Nashville needs another outlaw movement.
  6. Silly kids--it came from Belleville, Illinois.

7. Peter (are you related to Bobby?).
  8. Possibly--it depends on whether Bobby's ancestors merely took the surname post-emancipation, or whether the collateral ancestor of mine who owned Bobby's ancestors exercised "master's privileges" and had some mixed-race children.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Traditionalists would say that Nashville, the home of the Grand Old Opry, is the gold standard for country music. It is also a magnet for many, many young hopeful country stars chasing their dreams. Many of them even come from the Southwest. (Most of them fail to make any impression on Nashville recording movers and shakers.)

Traditionalists would also argue that country has morphed into a pop/country amalgam which is unpallatable to their sensibilities. For myself, "new country" isn't pop enough for my taste and Grand Old Opry country never appealed to me, so though I lived in Nashville five wonderful years, I never did develop a taste for any form of that music. Bluegrass is cool, though.
  10. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Oh well damn...let me vote for Whiskeytown then!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Let's not forget the Rural Alabama Sound.

... It's mostly Dueling Banjo's to hide the screams, but it's a scene nonetheless.

(To all those in Alabama: Joke.)
  12. It sure is.

I must say, I prefer "Western" and Bakersfield stuff over traditional honky-tonk. Maybe it's just that I love Telecasters so much. :D
  13. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Between Nashville and Austin, give me Austin.

But like another poster, I got heavy into Americana in the 90's after listening to Uncle Tupelo, The Jayhawks, Bottle Rockets, now defunt local Seattle band Kitchen Radio, The Picketts, etc., etc.

Country is alive and well, it doesn't do the achy-breaky heart, and it comes from all over.

Do your ear a favor and listen to damn near anything from Bloodshot Records.

One of my favorite country records of all time though has got to be Harvest by Neil Young and the Stray Gators.

14. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    You guys need to check out The Supersuckers. They are a punk band who decided to cut a country live album entitled "Must've Been Live". Willie Nelson's harmonica player, Mickey Raphael appears on the album, as does Audley Freed of The Black Crowes.

Also "12 Golden Country Classics" by Ween is pretty great.

I like Brooks N Dunn too!
  15. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Kid Rock and Hank Williams, Jr. have a new country song on Kid's new album. Ought to check it out. He also covers a David Allan Coe song "Son Of The South", but changes it up to "Son Of Detroit". Add that to a one of the biggest country hits of the year "Picture", and you got the biggest/only rapper turned outlaw country artist ever.
  16. Oh man, nobody should ever cover David Allan Coe. The bastard doesn't deserve one penny in publishing royalties.
  17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    This past summer, Coe played a biker rally here in Wisconsin. I heard he walked off stage, because the crowd wasn't responding to him the way he thought they should. Anyway...

I don't like today's "country rock" or "pop country." And by the way, if'n you're a country musician, your attire should consist of a cowboy hat and a pair of old, dusty ***t-kickers, not a Harley-Davidson T-shirt and an AC/DC baseball hat (you don't fool me, Hoss). If you are wearing a T-shirt, definitely don't roll the sleeves up to show us how buff you are (I could spend all my free time in the gym too, if I had someone writing my material for me).
  19. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm playing as a sideman for an alt-country act and we're opening a concert for a coupla 'name' acts tomorrow. I was instructed to 'not feel constrained to dressing conservative/country.' Hee! I'm new to this genre, but I'm liking it more than I thought I would!

20. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Coe is bad-ass.