1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Countryman 85, Radial JDI, or Radial J48 for my direct-to-board pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Countryman 85

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Radial JDI

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Radial J48

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey gang,

The title says it all. Long story short, I was using an ampless pedalboard with a Tech 21 VT Bass DI but added a speaker sim at the end of my chain that does not have a DI out, so I need to add a direct box at the end of my pedalboard (while still using the Tech 21 VT Bass DI as a preamp. Also using other effects like overdrive, distortion, chorus, with passive basses.

Which DI would you recommend I stick at the end of my chain and why? (also trying to keep it affordable. I'm sure there are better options).

Countryman 85, Radial JDI, or Radial J48.

About the only distinction I have noted so far is in one video, it sounded like the Countryman had a slightly "glassier" top end to it (sounded a bit brighter to my ears than the JDI). But that might not be a good thing, as something with fullllllll spectrum reproduction might make my drives sound a bit fizzier.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    VT DI already has a speaker sim. The added speaker sim pedal is superfluous. But Radial is a good bet regardless.

Blu bro likes this.
  3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    It does indeed, but I wasn't liking the way my drives sounded through the VTDI, even with the speaker sim. I picked up a Digitech CabDRYVR, and I like it a lot. Brings more life to my sound, to my ears. Not necessarily better, but different, and I like it better. But alas, there is no DI out. I tried running it before the VTDI so I could still use the DI on it, and it sounds okay, but I think it sounds best at the end of my chain.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I have a Countryman type 85 and it takes dirt really well and just sounds really great. I’d definitely recommend that. Also if you like tube amps it works as a speaker level DI which is sick.

two fingers and bassbrad like this.
  5. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thanks. So do you use it in a similar fashion? Use effects, a preamp, etc, and then run to the board direct?

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I’ve mostly used it like that while recording but it sounds significantly better than other DIs I’ve used in the same fashion. It just seems to take most things better.

7. Countryman type 85, still the standard, imho.

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    As an added note. I love vintage tone etc....but IMO the J48 is far more versatile than the JDI that seems more popular among players on this board.

9. GesusBass

GesusBass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Sell the Digitech and get a DSM Omnicabsim deluxe and your covered on both. I love mine I gives me some wanted color to my Barefaced cab.

10. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I have seen that. I may have to sell 2-3 things to get it, but it might be worth it.

11. GesusBass

GesusBass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It is worth it especially if you use any type of overdrive or distortion. I can get the same tone through my Barefaced Supertwin and FOH at the same time.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Tried all the ones you listed at a church gig i had for 8.5 years. JDI was the winner. Well until i got a REDDI

rugrat likes this.
  13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    About 10 years ago I did a "DI Roundup" for Recording Magazine, and I came to that same conclusion: When you A/B them side-by-side, the Countryman Type 85 definitely sounds brighter, glassier, more incisive than the Radial JDI.

The thing is, I'm not convinced you would ever notice that unless you were A/B'ing them side-by-side! There's a reason the Countryman has been the industry standard for 30-something years. Heck, I own one.

However, if I were in your (OP's) shoes I'd go with the JDI. Not because I think it sounds better. Simply because, as a passive DI, that's one less thing to worry about (power). After owning my Countryman for over 20 years it went bad in the middle of a recording session, suddenly stopped receiving phantom power. (Subsequent troubleshooting confirmed that the problem was in the DI, not the cables or the console's 48V supply.) I was able to salvage the session because the Countryman can also run off a 9V battery...but still, if I'd had a JDI, none of that would've been an issue.

jacoby75 likes this.
  14. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Thank you for all the responses, everyone. FWIW, I emailed Radial and they wrote back (really quickly, actually) and stated that since I have pedals in line that are buffering my signal, I should go with a passive direct box because it won't distort as easily wen hit hard by the pedals. I'm debating between the JDI and the ProDI at this point. Not sure if I can justify the extra expense of the JDI, given my severly limited hobby budget at this point.